What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Looking for a place that will replace cat6 end

Silent_Avenger

Well it seems while I was away for the weekend one of the other tenants in the house has cut the end off of my 50ft cat 6 cable(house modem is in shared area) and it seems no one wants to fess up to it(I think I will be moving out in the near future because of this). So rather than throw out the remaining 49 ft of cable does anyone know a place that will crimp on a new end on the cheap? Does anyone know if canadacomputers does something like this? I would phone but they're closed today. Also I would do it myself but it looks like the crimping tool costs more than the cable itself. :sad:

bonanza2000

I find it is useful to make my own cables. A box of cable and a bag of connectors and you can wire up all sorts of things with various lengths with your own crimper.

monoprice has a kit that has all you need for $22
For only $18.39 each when QTY 50+ purchased - RJ-45/RJ11 Stripping and Crimping Tool Kit w/ Modular Plugs | Professional Modular Crimps, Strips, & Cuts Tool

amazon has some kits too $18
http://www.amazon.com/Enhanced-Netw...qid=1346699900&sr=1-12&keywords=rj+45+crimper

but if you are only at your place temporarily it is hard to beat the cheap solutions -
a new 50' cable is $8
For only $6.44 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 50FT 24AWG Cat6 550MHz UTP Ethernet Bare Copper Network Cable - Yellow | Cat6 Straight Cables - 50ft

Silent_Avenger

Well it looks like it'll be mono price if I ever need a wired connection again :biggrin: I don't game that much so the wireless card I stole from my other pc will suffice for now.

Silent_Avenger

I would think somebody in the GTA would own a crimper and be able to help you out. If you were closer I'd do it myself.

Well thanks for the thought. I'm actually looking into other ways to connect to the wireless network in the house I just hate to have to throw out a 50ft cable that's only about a week old.

misterd

Now that my mind is in motion this morning. If you know an electrician, I would think most of them end up doing data cabling as well. You could also "borrow" one and return it from a large retail store with a flexible return policy.

Silent_Avenger

Sadly I work at a large retail store currently and they don't carry data cable strippers/crimpers. Oh well not in a huge rush to repair it.

Silent_Avenger

Lol that's the exact same cable that someone cut on me. Maybe I'll go out tomorrow and pick up another one of them because now I no longer have any spare data cables.

KaptCrunch

Lol that's the exact same cable that someone cut on me. Maybe I'll go out tomorrow and pick up another one of them because now I no longer have any spare data cables.

go to home depot and buy RJ45 ends and use thier crimper off selves

look at the good end and see how is wired or re end both ends

Attachments

• 568.jpg
    568.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 137

Latest posts