What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed lowfat's Big Lian Li.

lowfat

Staff member
the 512 are not a bad price right now at CC, add 2 and raid them. Still over a g-note with tax added though for 2.
Only a couple of boards can RAID them. You are also going to increase latency time as well as have lower QD 1 to QD 4 small file read/writes. And for normal users, this is what is important. IMO a single good drive > RAID.
One thing to consider before tearing apart your beautiful setup:

[Tutorial]How to add NVMe support on any AMI UEFI BIOS with an Intel Chipset

But I do understand everyone has an itch that needs scratching. ;)
Just heard about this possibility yesterday. Pretty pathetic IMO that board manufacturers were unwilling to add the support to Z87 boards at least. I definitely wouldn't have bought everything if I had known this. I would have just bought an Intel 750. Although I really HATE my current Gigabyte board.

Vittra

Getting off Gigabyte at any cost is usually worth it. :haha:

Agreed on the raid - I have the capacity to do it on the VIII Gene but absolutely no interest.

lowfat

Staff member
Ya 256 is not big enough for me for boot drive then, guess if just was os only.

Lol. OS takes like 30GB. :bleh:

Both Steam and Origin both allows for multiply libraries. Moving your user documents, music, pictures takes like 3 clicks. So realistically you could use a tiny OS drive.

I also see no need to get every single game I own installed all the time. It isn't like I am going to be playing them all. So I use Steam's backup and restore. It takes like 3 minutes to install a game that was backed up.

Printed this last night
export-34_1.jpg

The G.Skills are now naked.
export-36_1.jpg

Painting the edges of the PCB to get rid of that nasty yellow.
export-37_1.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
How hard was it it get the heatsinks off? Heatgun + a bit of Popsicle stick prying, or a lot more curse words than that?

lowfat

Staff member
How hard was it it get the heatsinks off? Heatgun + a bit of Popsicle stick prying, or a lot more curse words than that?

It was crazy easy. Just heated them up real good. Then just pulled just slightly on the spreaders w/ a pair of needle nose pliers and they just popped off.

nasrott

Lol. OS takes like 30GB. :bleh:

Both Steam and Origin both allows for multiply libraries. Moving your user documents, music, pictures takes like 3 clicks. So realistically you could use a tiny OS drive.

I also see no need to get every single game I own installed all the time. It isn't like I am going to be playing them all. So I use Steam's backup and restore. It takes like 3 minutes to install a game that was backed up.

Ya my os only is fine on a 120 ssd, using about 40 gig but on my gaming rig with games want them all in that I think I might play, Even though I don't play them all, still want them all on the ssd's, would bother me not having them there. Raid is probably getting old these days now, been using raid0 since 60gig drives were out, haven't tryed ssd on its own sept on lr pc.

Latest posts