What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need an inexpensive laptop for work

clshades

Hey all,

Looking for an inexpensive laptop for mobile work. I like to have a laptop with me for doing reports on jobs, emails, problem solving, parts lookup etc. it doesn't need to be powerful, however there's a few things I want. 15" screen ish. I don't want a huge screen.

A/ I need to be able to disable the trackpad. I use a mouse.
B/ standard keyboard this is the key... I hate laptops with small shift keys and stupid enter keys that aren't like normal keyboards.
C/ Non reflective screen

TIA

clshades

Was looking at this but didn't have time to check out all the features yet. Costco special.

Attachments

• 20240430_132926.jpg
    20240430_132926.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 11

great_big_abyss

Honestly, I would contact Maritrunks and see if he has something that meets your requirements. He's always selling used laptops. I bought a used Lenovo Thinkbook 15P from him last year, and it was excellent.

sswilson

Staff member
If you're shopping for cheap/new from the costco warehouse, this is the model I grabbed for my better half to travel with late last year.

I didn't run into any issues with it.

Pros vs the HP model you selected.....

- Much more powerful processor (although it's possible the HP has better battery life and a slimmer body due to that)
- Touch Screen (Does anybody actually care about that?)
- DDR4 so it's a hell of a lot cheaper to grab a second 8GB stick

Cons

- Older platform so it's DDR4, BT 5, and Wifi 5
- More than likely heavier and thicker due to the processor
- Inspiron line not exactly well reviewed.

Decently performing entry level laptop that's miles ahead of similarly priced intel offerings. Important to note that this is a Zen 3 offering while the 7520u processor is a Zen 2. Especially impressive is that this 15W processor benchmarks just 25% lower than it's 65W cousin (Ryzen 5600G).

The included NVMe is a Phison P0221 that benches around 3200/1950.

The only downside to this package is the single 8GB memory stick. Do yourself a favour and grab another 8GB stick for drastically improved performance. (50 - 75% improvement in benchmarks).

That's what I posted about it on the Costco website

Last edited:

clshades

If you're shopping for cheap/new from the costco warehouse, this is the model I grabbed for my better half to travel with late last year.

I didn't run into any issues with it.

Pros vs the HP model you selected.....

- Much more powerful processor (although it's possible the HP has better battery life and a slimmer body due to that)
- Touch Screen (Does anybody actually care about that?)
- DDR4 so it's a hell of a lot cheaper to grab a second 8GB stick

Cons

- Older platform so it's DDR4, BT 5, and Wifi 5
- More than likely heavier and thicker due to the processor
- Inspiron line not exactly well reviewed.

That's what I posted about it on the Costco website
Could you take a photo of the keyboard for me? I don't see one on the website. 😎

On2wheels

Not sure if you care but I bought a new Dell a few years back and didn't realize until I got it home and hooked up that the built-in ethernet is only 100Mbit, so to make full use of a faster internet connection I had to use a USB-ethernet adaptor. Wifi may have been slightly faster but I wanted minimal latency for something. Caveat emptor.

sswilson

Staff member
Not sure if you care but I bought a new Dell a few years back and didn't realize until I got it home and hooked up that the built-in ethernet is only 100Mbit, so to make full use of a faster internet connection I had to use a USB-ethernet adaptor. Wifi may have been slightly faster but I wanted minimal latency for something. Caveat emptor.

No ethernet on this model.

Latest posts