What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New comer

Haze

I’am am totally new to building PCs. I have no experience, don’t know anything and hardware canucks video (how to build a gaming pc for beginners) really confused me a lot I’am looking to build a gaming pc under 650$ dollars (only pc). Please help.

FreeKnight

Welcom to the forum. There's a sticky at the very top of this subforum that has some questions we need to know to get an idea of what you're looking at;

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
-This question should not only be what you're using, but the performance you want in these tasks. i.e. you want everything to load fast, or apply filters/encoding real fast or you just need it to work, even if it takes a bit longer. Do you want to multi-task and run lots of things at once? What will you usually run at the same time?

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
-Does this include taxes, shipping, extended warranty coverage, etc. What isn't included in your budget and you have a separate budget for?

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-This includes re-using peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard+mouse, speakers, your copy of an OS (i.e. windows retail version).

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-If you have, what conclusions have you drawn so far. If you haven't, why not (maybe just intimidating)?

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-If you plan to over-clock, what are your expectations and current experience level? What do you want your experience level to be after you finish your over-clock?

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
-Have you bought any parts yet, when are you starting to buy parts and when do you want to physically be putting it together?

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
-If this is for gaming, tell us what resolution and the settings you wish to have in games (max everything, high, medium, or low). Do you turn AA on and do you care about gaming technology with PhysX, CUDA, eyfinity, 3D, etc?

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
-Is there something you don't want to go without? USB 3.0 support, wifi n, SSD (solid state drives), blu-ray support, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, Super quiet case (low noise system), all-in-one memory card reader, specific front panel support? Those are just a few examples. If you aren't sure, but know you want to have 'the latest and greatest support' then just say so.

I find that I'm constantly asking for more when people use this 'pre-built' Q&A and they aren't putting much thought into each category and understanding why we ask. If someone would be willing to make some update, I would much appreciate this as it would really help everyone.

Haze

I’am am totally new to building PCs. I have no experience, don’t know anything and hardware canucks video (how to build a gaming pc for beginners) really confused me a lot I’am looking to build a gaming pc under 650$ dollars (only pc). Please help.
Welcom to the forum. There's a sticky at the very top of this subforum that has some questions we need to know to get an idea of what you're looking at;

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
-This question should not only be what you're using, but the performance you want in these tasks. i.e. you want everything to load fast, or apply filters/encoding real fast or you just need it to work, even if it takes a bit longer. Do you want to multi-task and run lots of things at once? What will you usually run at the same time?

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
-Does this include taxes, shipping, extended warranty coverage, etc. What isn't included in your budget and you have a separate budget for?

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-This includes re-using peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard+mouse, speakers, your copy of an OS (i.e. windows retail version).

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-If you have, what conclusions have you drawn so far. If you haven't, why not (maybe just intimidating)?

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-If you plan to over-clock, what are your expectations and current experience level? What do you want your experience level to be after you finish your over-clock?

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
-Have you bought any parts yet, when are you starting to buy parts and when do you want to physically be putting it together?

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
-If this is for gaming, tell us what resolution and the settings you wish to have in games (max everything, high, medium, or low). Do you turn AA on and do you care about gaming technology with PhysX, CUDA, eyfinity, 3D, etc?

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
-Is there something you don't want to go without? USB 3.0 support, wifi n, SSD (solid state drives), blu-ray support, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, Super quiet case (low noise system), all-in-one memory card reader, specific front panel support? Those are just a few examples. If you aren't sure, but know you want to have 'the latest and greatest support' then just say so.

I find that I'm constantly asking for more when people use this 'pre-built' Q&A and they aren't putting much thought into each category and understanding why we ask. If someone would be willing to make some update, I would much appreciate this as it would really help everyone.
Thanks for helping, could you recommend me a mother board for gaming.

sswilson

Staff member

You're not going to get any worthwhile recommendations unless you have a look through the following link and provide some answers to it.

At the bare minimum, folks are going to need to know your total budget, what you intend to do with the PC, where you are located, and whether or not you've already got things like keyboards, mice, and/or monitors.

clshades

Need to start with the CPU. Ryzen I'm assuming. If i'm going to be honest though, 650 normally get's you a mobo, ram, and cpu, if you are building new. Depends on the games you want to play too.

draemn

With the CAD so low, is it even possible to build for $650 with new components? (assuming you want the PC to be useful)

Basically, building a computer is like equipping gear into each slot of the computer case. You gotta fill up each one and they all have different quality parts that can go in there.

Case - up to you how much you spend, you can definitely get away with a cheap case, but think about how much space you're willing to have it take up. Since this is a low budget build, there isn't much you need to think about other than price and looks.

Motherboard - pick the motherboard based on what CPU you're going to install in it and the size of the case you bought (you can't fit a large motherboard in a small case). Since this is a low budget build, you're not interested in looks or features, so pretty much just get the cheapest one that has good reviews for not breaking. You don't have to worry about too much else in a budget build.

CPU - You'll want to put some time and effort into figuring out what the best CPU you can get for your budget, with the hardest part being finding your budget. You can start by looking up (one of many) reviews on what CPU is the best for a budget build, price out everything except the GPU around that. Then, look at what graphics card you can get with your remaining budget and see if you have a little room left over for a better CPU or if you need to buy a slightly cheaper CPU. The CPU is the base determination of how fast your computer feels in general tasks, how many programs you can run at once, what hardware is supported. Since you're on a budget build, you don't really need to worry about what advantages one CPU has over another, except raw performance.

Memory (RAM) - every computer needs this. For a budget build, there isn't much you need to worry about other than price and MAKE SURE the motherboard you pick supports that RAM (the motherboard manufacture will list all supported memory). Minimum RAM requirements is 8GB. Most motherboards work fastest with an even number of RAM sticks in the computer because they're set up for "dual channel" ram. If it is "triple channel" that means you want 3 sticks for the best performance. I think 8Gb will get you by and on your budget you might be better off putting leftover money into something else.

Storage (aka hard drive or SSD) - Moving your operating system onto a SSD is a luxury, but 100% worth it. Everything you do will feel faster if you can. If your budget allows, try to get a SSD. I highly suggest searching for "best budget ssd" or something similar to make sure you get one that is worth buying... there are a few duds out there. If your budget reaaaaaaly can't afford it, then go with a traditional HDD. Most people will get both so they can get the speed benefit of the SSD on their most frequent computer use, but have a large amount of storage on the slower HDD. For the most part, any "SATA" drive you buy will go in any computer. just make sure your motherboard says it supports the SATA version (i.e. SATA 3 or SATA III). What you should buy really depends on what you plan to use your computer for.

Video card (GPU) - Well, depends what you plan to use your computer for. Maybe you can just buy a CPU that has an "iGPU" (integrated GPU) and skip buying a video card entirely. If you plan to play modern 3D video games, you'll need to spend the money to buy a discreet (add in) GPU, which will cost you more. Pretty much every GPU is compatible other than the physical size limits of the case. Again, this heavily depends on what you want to do with your computer as to what you should be buying.

power supply (PSU) - please don't cheap out too much on this component. You don't need to spend $120 or get something overkill, but since this is supplying the electricty to every electronic in the computer, last thing you want is saving $15 just to have it destroy your entire computer when it fails to work as intended! Now, to make it simple, on a budget build you're not going to have the money to buy parts that require more than a 500W power supply. Aim for the best reviewed PSU you can get for $50. Once you have picked all your parts, do ask someone to confirm that your power supply will be sufficient, but chances are you can use a 400W or above.

That said, there are lots of advanced things some people will do to "stretch" their dollar further in a very low budget build and you might start to feel overwhelmed and want to just go back to the above suggestions (after telling us what you plan to do with your computer).
  • Buy used parts
  • Buying over a longer period of time to catch sales
  • Overclocking the CPU to make it faster for "free." It's not always free as you might have to spend extra money on your electricity bill, motherboard, power supply, or buy an advanced CPU cooler.
  • Use a free operating system

Latest posts