What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

OC and undervolt my 3570k

Bond007

I thought I would try MSI's one button "OC Genie" today. As it turns out it loves 4.5GHZ @ 1.112v under full load, completely stable. This 3770k is a gem!

Very nice. Is that with a 4 core (8 thread load through prime or equivalent)? What are you using for your voltage readout? What's your temps like, with what cooler?

Cptn Vortex

Very nice. Is that with a 4 core (8 thread load through prime or equivalent)? What are you using for your voltage readout? What's your temps like, with what cooler?
Using CPUz and HWMonitor for voltage/temps. It is watercooled, see my sig below. Running 4 core/8thread yes. I did have a crash, so it looks like I'll have to do some fine tuning but not too much.

Cptn Vortex

Spent some days fine tuning. 4.5GHZ is rock solid @ 1.18v (1.20v in BIOS). I might be able to undervolt it more, just gotta spend some more time to run it through its paces. 4.7GHZ so far is stable at 1.22v (1.235 in BOIS).

geokilla

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but do you mind posting your BIOS settings? I'm trying to achieve a more energy efficient overclock as well. Just want to fine tune it since I flashed the latest BIOS and all the BIOS settings for my previous OC are gone.

Rogier

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but do you mind posting your BIOS settings? I'm trying to achieve a more energy efficient overclock as well. Just want to fine tune it since I flashed the latest BIOS and all the BIOS settings for my previous OC are gone.

Actually thanks for reviving this one. I read it last night and it has motivated me to start playing around with my 3570k as well.

So if the OP has an update and his settings that would be much appreciated.

Bond007

Actually thanks for reviving this one. I read it last night and it has motivated me to start playing around with my 3570k as well.

So if the OP has an update and his settings that would be much appreciated.

Hey guys. I don’t have access to my computer right now. This from post 13 is pretty much what I finalised on:

All bios settings changed are:
- PLL voltage dropped from 1.8 to 1.6.
- Turbo boost off.
- CPU multiplied changed to 41.
- voltage offset -0.15 (at one point I had -0.155, but it caused an idle instability eventually)
- load line calibration on standard (I think there are 7 levels to LLC on my MOB, and this is the 2nd lowest setting. The lowest didn't help drop vcore under load. I kept it low to allow vdroop to keep load voltage closer to what was required...increasing it raises voltage under load).

That said I recently grabbed a cheap used hp box for the ram and cpu...I swapped my 3570k for a 3770 (non-k). The 3770 doesn’t play quite as nice as it has lower default idle voltage and higher load voltage, which makes it harder to get to the luck I had with my 3570k. Non-k ivy can overclocking by 4 multipliers...if I recall off had correctly I have the following changed settings for my 3770:

Pll- 1.6v
All c states and turbo boost on
4.1 ghz set for max on 1/2/3/4 cores (when I tried letting it go higher on less cores it needed more voltage or caused instability at lower v).
Load line calibration in the lowest setting
Offset voltage -0.14

I may be a bit off on the 3770 settings, but they are close. I didn’t put as much time into te 3770 as when I worked on the 3570k.

geokilla

I'm overclocking my Core i5 - 3570K, and I've come across an interesting predicament. Testing 4.4GHz, CPU-Z is reporting core voltage of 1.356V under load. In the BIOS, the core voltage is set to 1.17V. Temperatures topped out at 80C under OCCT Large Data Set. When I was testing 4.2GHz earlier, CPU-Z was reporting core voltage of 1.128V, and the BIOS was set to 1.15V. Temperatures topped out at 58CC. What is the right voltage my chip is getting?

Edit: Now testing 4.3GHz, CPU-Z is reporting lower core voltages again just like before? Bios core voltage is 1.195V and CPU-Z is reporting 1.176V. Load temperatures are at 65C.

Last edited:

Bond007

Are you reading VID in bios? Could be the reference voltage, but cpuz reporting what it actually is (after vdroop and any offset you may have set).

geokilla

Nope I'm not reading the VID in BIOS, but the core voltage. It looks like when I try to use the 44 and above multiplier, voltages automatically get higher than what I have it set in the BIOS. Temperatures and CPU-Z core voltage readings all reflect that.

Latest posts