What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ontario to raise minimum wage to 15$/h

b1lk1

Kinda related subject: Lindsay is part of that new "minimum income" BS. There is already 45%+ unemployment in town due to no jobs. Now they are going to give people already on welfare more money because there are no jobs. Just where are they coming up with the money to pay for this stuff?

KaptCrunch

Kinda related subject: Lindsay is part of that new "minimum income" BS. There is already 45%+ unemployment in town due to no jobs. Now they are going to give people already on welfare more money because there are no jobs. Just where are they coming up with the money to pay for this stuff?

FROM Justin's pot farm since he going to open Toker's retail

ha really like his election promise, legalize pot for who ?

sure not the pioneers of pot

only politicians can run pot shops

AkG

Entry level jobs are dead in ON because of this. Restaurants are on life support because of this.
Look at San Fran who did 15 an hour. Automation is replacing peeps. Restaurants are closing down in record numbers. No smart (read successful) business will hire an unskilled pleeb when they can get a robot to do it... as one costs a crap ton of money and comes with major hassles (sick leave, health insurance, hell lawsuits over hostile working conditions, etc)... and the other costs a crap ton of money BUT can be amortized and written down under std accounting practices as hardware... AND does a reliable job 24hrs a day without time off. This was coming as in the next decade it was projected that 10-20 of all jobs were going to be fully automated (with another 10-20 on life support)... she just pushed the timeline up. :(

Also everyone who was making a decent 16 dollar an hour wage is NOT getting a raise. Instead they just became poor as the market will react and inflation will eat up the extra cash - just as it did when 2 worker families replaced 1 worker families (for example look at housing costs in the 40s and 50s vs 70s).

This was done to keep the gov unions on her side in the next election cycle. THEY will all get raises as that is part of their contracts. The private sector just got screwed. I expect her next bold move will be to fast-track B.I.G ('free money' for everyone) as they move to having two tiered system. One tier are the new aristocrats the other is us pleebs on the dole.

Dragonstongue

make more to keep less in your pocket, that is sadly the Canada and much of the world we live in..first time this was done in my lifetime was way back in the 90s that I recall, bump in min wage after many promises for many years to do this, for the first little bit, it actually made a difference, but then, clawbacks, inflation etc came into play and so the make more keep less is VERY prevalent, coming from Wynn power generation BS etc etc, it in my mind will mean exactly this, oh you are making more, so that means for us to make the $ back, the price of this goes up by x % the price of that goes up by x %, it is not how much we make that really matters, rather it is the uncontrolled cost of living, the horrible taxation and so forth.

Slik

I can't believe the comments here. Has anyone here tried to live on $11.40 per hour? Even at $15.00, consider what's left after taxes etc. Are you guys kidding? A guy would be lucky to net $1600.00 a month working 40 hours a week. Can a married couple with one or two children really live on that? Can a single person live on that? Gimme a break.

b1lk1

You are missing the bigger picture. By forcing the wage to $15 an hour, corporations are going to raise the cost of everything to cover the increase in wages.

THey are now making it impossible to survive on $15 an hour. They are going to push more people into the welfare state. Hell, try living on $50K a year and raising 2 teenage boys. I spend $750+ a month just on food, I simply do not understand how people working for $15 an hour can even survive now. It is going to get much worse when the cost of gas is pushed over $1.50 a liter and don't get me started on the price of food.

D

Dark Knight

You are missing the bigger picture. By forcing the wage to $15 an hour, corporations are going to raise the cost of everything to cover the increase in wages.

THey are now making it impossible to survive on $15 an hour. They are going to push more people into the welfare state. Hell, try living on $50K a year and raising 2 teenage boys. I spend $750+ a month just on food, I simply do not understand how people working for $15 an hour can even survive now. It is going to get much worse when the cost of gas is pushed over $1.50 a liter and don't get me started on the price of food.

Not to mention the unstable and unpredictable Canadian dollar causing prices to increase due to the currency used for imports.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team

Yes, the problem is not a minimum wage of $15 per se, its a problem that this just artificially raises the bar for survival HIGHER. My best friend owns a successful comic shop. He has 15 employees. We talked about this over a few beers last night. He already knows there is no way he can keep all 15 of them with a 30% raise because his profit margins simply arnt that high. So either hes got to get the same amount of work done with 10 employees and fire 5 (now they're making 0/hr!), or raise his prices dramatically, which just passes the buck on to disposable income, effectively stopping that income from being 30% disposable.

The solution isnt to bump the minimum wage income, its to lower the bar of whats needed to comfortably live. Keep food and rent cheap for lower incomes. Reduce the barrier for social assistance and schooling. Those programs work. Raising low income wages just means your slumlord apartment owner knows you can afford 1200/month rent instead of 1000 now.

AkG

Min wage is NOT meant to live on. It is meant to give young people job experience and build their resume. A very SMALL percent actually live on min wage income. This 'livable wage' propaganda needs to die in a fire. Yes there are edge cases but you do not screw 95-97% of people just because of a few. Those few should have gov based help to get training and get a job that is meant to be a career. Instead this makes anyone making 15-17 an entry level min wage job earner over night. That is a BAD thing.

Slik

Min wage is NOT meant to live on. It is meant to give young people job experience and build their resume. A very SMALL percent actually live on min wage income. This 'livable wage' propaganda needs to die in a fire. Yes there are edge cases but you do not screw 95-97% of people just because of a few. Those few should have gov based help to get training and get a job that is meant to be a career. Instead this makes anyone making 15-17 an entry level min wage job earner over night. That is a BAD thing.
Min. wage may not be "meant" to live on, but you would be astonished at how many are indeed attempting to live on it. I'm not talking about introductory work etc., Minimum wages are also paid to commercial and construction workers. Employers have a way of denying workers of overtime premiums on top of it all. Factor in this..of the possible $1600.00 per month one might earn, deduct a further 13% tax on almost everything needed to exist on, let alone live on. Trust me..I know of what I speak.

Latest posts