What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Our first camera review - FUJIFILM X30

BootlegUsher

Great review, thanks for posting it. I have been thinking about getting a camera, and reviews like this help a lot. Keep it up!

Dzzope

Can someone recommend a slightly ruggedized camera, like a GoPro lite ?

I don't need a camera that can go "over the falls" at Pipeline. Surviving a 3 foot drop would be nice.

I didn't see a camera section, so I thought I would post it somewhere where people are talking about cameras.

I've gone through about 6 cameras in the last 2 years.

Wowser.. Wrist-strap?

I'm thinking of getting something close to this myself.. I miss my old Nikon D90 but I'd stopped using it due to weight and walking everywhere with over an extra kg in my bag just sucks for how often I used it but then I didn't have it when I wanted it so I stopped taking pics. Then it was stolen.. :(

Think I wouldn't mind a fixed lens as fast as this as long as the images are good, can mess with f stop, shutter speed and iso easily and it focuses FAST and accurately.
That said I think compact with changeable lens could be a huge plus.

I'm open to sugestions but I'll probably go with another Nikon if I don't find something that ticks all my boxes by the summer (Thinking D5300 with the 18 - 140mm kit lens and a 50mm f1.8 prime and MAYBE some fixed wide-angle.. Maybe)

Nikon cos I know the quality and love the feel of a solid product (canon always seems flimsy and zoom sticks after a while and so on)

Open to other suggestions too. And I want to keep it light as possible.. 5300 is about right, though the 140mm lens is a beast (for weight vs the body)

Last edited:

Chris

If you owned a Nikon D90 and find it heavy, you will be happy with the Fujifilm X-E2 or X-T1. The IQ and color of the jpeg is excellent, and has most of the manual controls dials. I have the Nikon D80 since it was introduced in 2006, but I resisted upgrades due to the weight. So, my waiting was paid off when Fuji X-E1 came along. I can now carry the camera with the standard zoom on, a fast 35/1.4, and a 50-200 zoom or the wide angle samyang 12mm, all in a small bag (Billingham Hadley Digital). Perfect for my old bones and convenient for traveling.

Dzzope

Oof, Expensive lil buggers they are.

It's not that i really found the D90 heavy in hand.. (unless useing it constantly for multiple hours) more the weight of it + the 18-105mm lens and extra battery and 50mm was allot to lug around as I haven't had a car for 4 years. (Along with a couple of bottles of water and other general bits in my pack)

Also thinking of doing some more traveling and smaller would be better.

Looking at it with a 16-50mm lense.. or 18-135. 1250GBP though.. OUCHY 600GBP is more my target really. (Got the D90 for a steal about 6 months after release)

What do you think of the x-M1?

Another friend of mine had suggested the x-10? I think.. can't remember now, as a fairly cheap portable shooter That i could pick-up second-hand

Last edited:

Chris

If you are not taking a lot of action shots, try and find an X-E1 at a much lower price. As for the lens, yes, they are expensive, but not more than Nikkor lenses. The 16-50 has a better range then the kit lens 18-55, but it is much bigger and heavier. The 18-55 is called a kit lens, but it is not, it is an excellent zoom. I just bought the Samyang 12mm f/2 so I can go ultra wide. I also got the 35 mm f/1.4. You may consider the 23mm f/1.4 but again it is much bigger, heavier and more expensive. I have these three lenses in Billingham digital bag, If I need long tele, I carry my 55-200 in a waist pouch. I wish I bought a larger bag such as the Billingham small so I can carry a bottle of water.
I am not too familiar with the X-M1. You can read the reviews at dpreview.com. I am not sure if has an EVF which is a must for me. And the EVF is the reason I bought X-E1 instead of the Panasonic or Olympus 4/3 cameras . I also like the range style without the hump at the middle. Now Panasonic has caught up, and the GX7 is an excellent camera with very nice lens choices. My daughter has one and she loves it. Its price has come down quite a bit recently.

Tomal

This is the best camera review to me. I have seen in ages. Any body clear about the camera in this review.

Latest posts