What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

gingerbee

Wouldn't insurance be covering the vehicle damage?

I'm not sure wtf is happening w/ Amazon. I cancelled Prime in January. Every since I swear they are targeting me. I've had so many issues w/ shipping since then. I've had more orders 'undeliverable' or randomly returned this year than probably the last 5 combined.
Insurance doesn't cover private property at all in Ontario and can't say for anywhere else in Canada, so if you are sitting in your car in a Walmart/Home Depot parking lot or any other private property and someone hits you well you're on your own and this is not a guess from me, we had this happen about 7 years ago at Walmart, our insurance told us the same thing they told us this morning, nope not covered only on public roadways is your vehicle covered for collision damages.

Yes Amazon seems to be in a cost-cutting phase right now and were have had more screws ups than in years past IE like the bigger safe I ordered yesterday among a few things my wife has ordered over the last 6 months

Yes CLshades it drives me nuts cause it's not something I could ever do to someone, of course, my wife thought maybe they didn't feel the hit well I can guarantee they know they hit us with the amount of damage. The cameras at her work couldn't make out the plate not that it mattered since there is nothing we could do( it was a truck or SUV I am for sure of that with how high the main damage is) only thing hospital security said was that it wasn't a staff member, I and the wife plus her hospital admin/manager just wanted to make sure it wasn't another staff member cause then the hospital would go after them to pay for said damages ( not sure how that would work )

Here I and the wife were off to such a good start to the spring/summer time and then all this it such but life does sometimes we have enough money saved so not a big deal just a small dent in our savings, but I am cheap so I hate it lol, life goes on to bigger and better things.

A small point I want to say is this was my wife's first new car and she loves it to bits, she was so upset this morning and couldn't understand why since she said "It's just a bunch of metal and plastic why em I shaking and want to cry" I told her she has an emotional connection with the car she loves so much. which being autistic she has never experienced before and it upset her she said "it feels like I watched someone punch a loved one in the face" first time for everything.

ipaine

Insurance doesn't cover private property at all in Ontario and can't say for anywhere else in Canada, so if you are sitting in your car in a Walmart/Home Depot parking lot or any other private property and someone hits you well you're on your own and this is not a guess from me, we had this happen about 7 years ago at Walmart, our insurance told us the same thing they told us this morning, nope not covered only on public roadways is your vehicle covered for collision damages.

Yes Amazon seems to be in a cost-cutting phase right now and were have had more screws ups than in years past IE like the bigger safe I ordered yesterday among a few things my wife has ordered over the last 6 months

Yes CLshades it drives me nuts cause it's not something I could ever do to someone, of course, my wife thought maybe they didn't feel the hit well I can guarantee they know they hit us with the amount of damage. The cameras at her work couldn't make out the plate not that it mattered since there is nothing we could do( it was a truck or SUV I am for sure of that with how high the main damage is) only thing hospital security said was that it wasn't a staff member, I and the wife plus her hospital admin/manager just wanted to make sure it wasn't another staff member cause then the hospital would go after them to pay for said damages ( not sure how that would work )

Here I and the wife were off to such a good start to the spring/summer time and then all this it such but life does sometimes we have enough money saved so not a big deal just a small dent in our savings, but I am cheap so I hate it lol, life goes on to bigger and better things.

A small point I want to say is this was my wife's first new car and she loves it to bits, she was so upset this morning and couldn't understand why since she said "It's just a bunch of metal and plastic why em I shaking and want to cry" I told her she has an emotional connection with the car she loves so much. which being autistic she has never experienced before and it upset her she said "it feels like I watched someone punch a loved one in the face" first time for everything.
I find that very hard to believe about the insurance. You sure you don't just have crooks for insurance? And if just parked the comprehensive should be covering it not collision.

I did a super quick search:

What Do You Do If Your In A Parking Lot Accident In Ontario?​

Since the accident happens on private property, and not on a public road, many people assume how you should react to a parking lot accident will be different. Contrary to popular belief, parking lot accidents should be treated the same as any other accident.
If you are involved in an accident, check to make sure all parties involved are not injured. If they are injured, call for emergency assistance.
If the damage is more than the $2,000 threshold in Ontario, call the police and file an accident report. Make sure you exchange information with all parties involved and notify your insurer.

So you really need to have a talk with your insurance.

gingerbee

well, the first time it happened, we had a different insurance company and were told the same thing, police were notified in both cases and told us the same thing( the first time they came and took a report 2nd time they didn't even come once they found out she wasn't operating the car and it was on her works property), most standard insurance policies have exclusions for certain types of private property in Ontario, it only covers if someone was in the vehicle and or was injured as both times the vehicle was hit with no one was in/operating it and the other car can not be identified, you can get a special add on insurance to cover private property but it adds a lot onto our standard plan that it isn't worth it IE full coverage.

The first company wawanesa insurance is crap

the second one is Intact insurance which has coverage for almost everything under the standard plan but not private property when there is no one in the car, they no longer allow "acts of god"

Ok so after talking to our collision guy and our insurance this morning who both told us pretty much the same thing, if she was operating the car at the time it would be an accident we could claim cause the other driver's info and person would be known because she wasn't in the car at the time it classed as a hit and run with an unknown person IE an "act of god" on our end, they don't have acts of god anymore in Ontario, our collision guy said for the amount of damage were better off not being able to claim it cause he said this would put our risk factor up and have our insurance go up between 25-50% a year( 1 accident in 5 years put in as high risk ). I have never had or seen anyone I know in Ontario make a claim on a car/building/house without their insurance going through the roof at the time of renewal

now the good news. Our collision guy said he should be able to do it fairly cheap as he said it's just taking a few parts off and replacing them, no real bodywork as he called it. he will take care of us on price as the whole family has used his shop for many years so just waiting for his quote.

by no means am I an insurance expert these are just my experiences over the last 30+ years of dealing with insurance companies in Ontario which suck imho, I think we have cheap insurance @200 a month my sister in law has had 4 accidents over 15-20 years and her insurance for a 20g new vehicle which is paid off is almost 500 a month, I have no clue how this compares to other provinces that may have a government-run insurance program.

life goes on and all that matters is my wife is fine. the quote came in just under $3000 so I am happy it only puts a very small dent in our savings

Last edited:

gingerbee

How the fuck does a hospital parking lot fall into private property? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Ontario is pulling some shady shit if that's the case.

(Not swearing at you! Angry AF about your situation. I'd lose my mind if it was me.)
just to be clear it's an emergency animal hospital, it's a private business, not a human hospital run by the government so that's why it's private property. I am of course not happy about it but for the cost even if I could claim it with insurance I wouldn't, the cost increase is not worth it in the long run. Yes I agree it's pretty messed up and our body shop even said the government law changes have allowed insurance companies to get out of paying for lots of claims, the fact that any claim at all will cost you double to infinity and beyond lol when they put your monthly up at your renewal.

every since we got no-fault insurance this has been the way. it sucks but I am over it.

trust me CLshades I pretty much did yesterday.

clshades

just to be clear it's an emergency animal hospital, it's a private business, not a human hospital run by the government so that's why it's private property. I am of course not happy about it but for the cost even if I could claim it with insurance I wouldn't, the cost increase is not worth it in the long run. Yes I agree it's pretty messed up and our body shop even said the government law changes have allowed insurance companies to get out of paying for lots of claims, the fact that any claim at all will cost you double to infinity and beyond lol when they put your monthly up at your renewal.

every since we got no-fault insurance this has been the way. it sucks but I am over it.

trust me CLshades I pretty much did yesterday.
Do you guys not have the option to claim a no penalty repair if you haven't had an accident or claim in 5-8 years?

gingerbee

Do you guys not have the option to claim a no penalty repair if you haven't had an accident or claim in 5-8 years?
No, the only thing we have kind of like that used to be an "act of god" claim, but now we don't have that option anymore and they have added things like hail/heavy rain/storm/tree damage, we don't have any "no penalty" claim option at all, there is always a penalty for any claim we make. hence why I am so against any insurance claims with anything unless we have no other choice.

clshades

No, the only thing we have kind of like that used to be an "act of god" claim, but now we don't have that option anymore and they have added things like hail/heavy rain/storm/tree damage, we don't have any "no penalty" claim option at all, there is always a penalty for any claim we make. hence why I am so against any insurance claims with anything unless we have no other choice.
There must be a lot of beat up cars there.

Latest posts