What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Plex premium for home to remote location streaming

FreeKnight

I'm jumping between my home in Edmonton to Rocky Mountain house for ~2 weeks at a time right now, so I'm considering going with plex premium to stream content from my home PC to my place in rocky.

Has anyone tried out plex streaming remotely from another location? If so how did you find it. I have good highspeed internet at both locations, so I don't expect connection speed to be an issue, but not sure about if it generally works well or if there's lots of headaches due to Canadian ISPs generally throttling uploads, etc.

Experiences from anyone?

JD

Staff member
What's your upload speed like at the "server" location? That's what will play the biggest role in how well it streams. Plex does UPnP to open the ports for you too, but worst case, you'll need to forward a port.

I don't think you need Plex Pass to stream remotely though do you?

And I haven't heard of any Canadian ISP throttling upload speeds.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I use it all the time when travelling. Never had an issue. I have a 750 up pipe now, but it was running fine off my old 150 up for playing "1080" content.

JD is right: You don't need premium to remote stream.

You can also add friends servers to your account (with their approval) and view their library, which is handy.

FreeKnight

Ah you guys are correct, I thought remote streaming was limited to premium but it isn't. Current upload is 7.72 Mbps so I'll give it a try this week and see how it pans out.

Thanks gents.

LionRed

7.72Mbps should be more than enough to do at 720p and unless your pc is a complete pos it should be able to trans-code one stream---although if it is a 4k video trans-coding to 720p ---that could strain weak systems or fail trying.

PlexTranscoding.JPG

FreeKnight

Got into Rocky and am just testing it out, no issues with 720p or 1080p source material so far. Can't say for sure if it's downscaling the 1080p content but it doesn't seem like it at the moment.

Latest posts