What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

sswilson

Staff member
Not a rant, just general musing......

Trying to figure out if I'm seeing the "soap opera effect" on my new TV. 1080p content has looked a bit "different" but not enough that I'd question it. Currently watching Gray man on Netflix (which I assume is 4K) and the foreground (mostly main characters) really sticks out almost like it's trying to be 3D.

Going to have to figure out where/how to turn off their motion magic feature to see if the effect goes away.

sswilson

Staff member
So yeah.... turning off the motion settings returns the video to something closer to what we're used to. So now to decide if we like it or not..... :)

Bond007

Trying to figure out if I'm seeing the "soap opera effect" on my new TV. 1080p content has looked a bit "different" but not enough that I'd question it. Currently watching Gray man on Netflix (which I assume is 4K) and the foreground (mostly main characters) really sticks out almost like it's trying to be 3D.

Going to have to figure out where/how to turn off their motion magic feature to see if the effect goes away.

Netflix only gives you 4K as an up to option if you pay for the highest tier. SD on the lowest tier, and HD on the middle tier.

Does it do the same thing if you stream 4K from YouTube?

clshades

Took me a little while to get used to it. That's 4k baby!

FreeKnight

Had read various comments on application techniques for oil stain on a deck. One really praised a synthetic short nap roller. Tried it and dear god what a mess. Horrible for stain.

Think I'm resanding back to wood and starting over again it's that bad. Pools, drips and marks everywhere.

Debating buying a sprayer or using a deck pad this time.

Izerous

Folding Team
Had read various comments on application techniques for oil stain on a deck. One really praised a synthetic short nap roller. Tried it and dear god what a mess. Horrible for stain.

Think I'm resanding back to wood and starting over again it's that bad. Pools, drips and marks everywhere.

Debating buying a sprayer or using a deck pad this time.
i was going to spray my deck and was advised against it.

"Supposedly" spraying stain specifically can cause it to dry too much mid air causing basically tiny bulbs on the wood surface causing all sort of other issues. I decided against finding out if he was right or not after having just sanded the whole deck and just grabbed a few higher quality brushes. I let the stain brushes soak in varsol after use (days/weeks/months) to ensure they are clean for the next usage and don't clump etc.

I think what he was talking about is likely an issue more pnumatic spray guns and likely not with at home electric paint guns.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Rep tryout prep camps...? Is this a hockey thing?
Sorry, yes. Hockey is such a big part of my kids' lives that I forget it may need explanation. Community hockey associations typically have recreation, house or C division hockey, and representative or A division hockey. Rep tryouts start on the 25th. Both my kids are in camps this week, and the goalie has another camp that runs until the day before the goalie evaluations that are part of his U15 tryouts while my daughter has a conditioning camp. And I just got an email that the goalie's soccer team is starting up practices this week. If he makes rep we won't have time for soccer unfortunately as the rep team has 2 practices and 2 games a week vs. house hockey's one of each.

First world problems, I know. But we keep our kids busy, it keeps them (and us) out of trouble. :)

Latest posts