What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rear Channel on Realtek HD?

sswilson

Staff member
Ok, maybe I'm missing something here, and hopefully somebody out there will have an answer for me.

I don't normally use on-board sound, but at the moment I've got a second computer up and running for my digital out using my Audigy2 and I want to enable 4 channel output via the onboard realtek, but it refuses to output on the rear channel.

I can move the front channel output from my front speakers to the rear speakers so I know all 4 speakers are actually hooked up and working, and can select both jacks to output front channel output. I can even select 6 channel audio and successfully output the side channel to the rear speakers.

What I cannot for the life of me figure out is how to get the rear channel enabled!!!!!!!

I won't bother with hardware details for now as I'm sure it's just some boneheaded thing I'm missing that's common to all realtek HD audio setups. (I do have the most recent drivers).

I'm thinking it might have something to do with DRM in XPs HD audio drivers... is there a way to just run the older AC97 drivers and say X@#! HD audio?

sswilson

Staff member
I've got it working (kinda.....) by selecting 8 channel audio, hopefully games which offer surround sound will recognise the rear channel for what it is.....

cadaveca

Banned
You've got fronts and SIDES my man, not rears, by Realtek's standards. Just click the icon for the plug your speakers are plugged into, and re-assign it as the side speakers to get them working right.

:thumb:

sswilson

Staff member
You've got fronts and SIDES my man, not rears, by Realtek's standards. Just click the icon for the plug your speakers are plugged into, and re-assign it as the side speakers to get them working right.

:thumb:

Heh.... So the side speaker setting is what I normally would think of as a rear setting?????? :angry2:

Who the heck would set up 4 speakers like that???????

Ah well.... like I said in the OP, I figured it was something boneheaded like that......

Thanks!!!!!!

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... So the side speaker setting is what I normally would think of as a rear setting?????? :angry2:

Who the heck would set up 4 speakers like that???????

Ah well.... like I said in the OP, I figured it was something boneheaded like that......

Thanks!!!!!!

Although... now that I look at it, I suppose my rear speakers are actually more to the side than to the rear....... :)

Gamashinoch

actually ......in a 5.1 setup your "rears" are supposed to be beside you. A real rear is 6 or 7.1 and THOSE speakers are intended to be behind you. Ask any audiophile.

sswilson

Staff member
actually ......in a 5.1 setup your "rears" are supposed to be beside you. A real rear is 6 or 7.1 and THOSE speakers are intended to be behind you. Ask any audiophile.

Ah, but it's not a 5.1 setup, it's a 4.1 (isn't that what a 4 speaker setup with a sub that isn't on its own channel is?).... :)

Never really did buy into the multi channel speaker setups anywise.... had fits a year ago looking for a decent "stereo" amp to power my Polk SDA1s..... didn't want no . anything.... didn't want no Dolby (DBX was a hell of a lot better..... :) ) and certainly didn't want no freaking video inputs to the bloody thing either...........

<Rant = Off>

Ok, I'm all better now..... :)

Gamashinoch

if it's not 5.1 you shouldn't be using the HD driver then. the HD driver is for 5.1. You should be using the AC97 realtek driver.

Now I don't remember where i read that and can't seem to find it but i know i did.