What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommend games

Borg

Banned
I am not a gamer first of all. I don't even own any. I am afraid of getting addicted if I play. lol! But, I would like to get/buy one or two some day.

I thought I'd get one when I upgrade my card. I am looking at a budget of only $0 to $150 for a card, though, and it's probably between ATI's HD 6850 or a GeForce GTX 460. I think. I am not sure when I'm ready to buy that the Nvidia card will be on sale again at around that, but hopefully.

I'm also a Linux user so that is one reason I'm leaning towards Nvidia. Although, ATI is said to be getting better with support. I can dual boot so playing the game in Windows 7 is acceptable if that's the best option.

What are good free games and for commercial games that don't require a subscription (such as WOW, right?) to get? I was looking at games like COD, for e.g., for ones that are commercial or retail.

I also read a little about Nexuiz and HoN and they sound good, too.

Is it better to get a gaming joystick or console or is the keyboard sufficient?

That must sound like some real newbie questions but I thought I should be a bit prepared...

I don't really have a preference for which type of game although I think I'd like a variety. I was curious about sports simulation games and racing games but is it more likely one tires of those or?

Thanks in advance for any info.... I welcome anyone's opinion and give your favs and your perspective etc! :biggrin:

tabasko

Do you want to play online?
IMO online games are more addicting.. just because there are people around you going for "one more game". I play single player games when I know I need to sleep soon. Lately I've been playing batman: arkham asylum, metro 2033, mafia 2 (single player games)

A GTX460 will run those games just fine, that's what I have.

As for multiplayer games, there's League of Legends (LoL, just like HoN), team fortress 2, CoD black ops, Battlefield bad comp 2

Shadowmeph

if you just want to try out some games download Enemy territory which is a game based on WW2 and is actually fun and free and try that online play just to see if you like gaming, it is free also you could try a game like perfect world which you can play for free but there things that you can buy like upgraded equipment and such, but you don't need those upgrades at all to play, the perfect world games are allot like Wow but only free. this way you are not spending money and if you do enjoy the games then you can go out and buy some other games that are similar.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
If you're looking for a Free FPS (as opposed to COD which isnt free) try taking a look at Quake Live. IT should even run in linux and has that "classic gibbing" feel to it :thumb:

Optix

I've been rocking Battlefield: Bad Company 2 with a friend and enjoy it a lot. It's frustrating at times, as is Call of Duty: Black Ops but when you have people to play with that you know, it makes going 8 and 18 bearable. If you're truly worried about getting addicted, stay away form MMOs. There are loads of documented cases of people becoming addicted. I never was but I know some people who became very heavy players.

LaughingCrow

If you have friends that play, check what games they play:
a) so you can figure out if there's a particular genre that you like, shooter, strategy, multiplayer, etc.
b) so you can tell first hand if you'll like it and it's worth buying particularly
c) newer games - check reviews and then check game forums to see what problems the gamers are having
d) buy discount or older games that are likely to play well on older machines like GOG (Good Old Games) many of these games are still excellent and lots of people play them. Plus they are DRM free. GOG.com

jigglylizard

League of Legends: Free to play. Pay if you want (you can easily never pay). Very addictive and very fun. Play everyday.

Latest posts