What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Replaced thermal paste, fan won't start

Yeno

I have a laptop that has had heating problems for a while so I decided to go ahead and finally replace the thermal paste. It was my first time applying thermal paste but I read up a lot on how to do it and watched some videos. I applied using the spread method which I am realizing is not the best method. My laptop begins to load windows then abruptly shuts off which seems to me like heating issues again. Since replacing the thermal paste the fan won't start when I power up the laptop which I think is the main reason for the heating issues. Is there anything I can do and why won't the fan start up?

Yeno

I didn't unplug it but I did recheck to make sure it did not become unplugged after it wouldn't start.

Yeno

Its the main exhaust fan that sits on the heatsink. It wasn't dead before I replaced the thermal paste though. Now when I try to power up it does one half-hearted spin and stops moving.

Yeno

Its a Gateway M-series (can't remember the exact model number) with a T5750. How do you mean recheck the CPU socket? The thermal paste or the actual CPU because I didn't move that at all.

Latest posts