What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Seagate 1 TB drives comitting suicide?

DarKStar

UPDATE: Ok since writing the post I've done a few phone calls and some research, forgeting about the inquirer's story, it seems upon checking the forums and some feedbacks (newegg and other sites to name a few) that there is the same pattern of complaints - checking seagates forum quite an unusual amount - and posts being deleted like crazy - After talking to some people I know at the retail and distributor level, it seems there might be some truth here - I've been told about an unusually higher than normal failure and returns - now keeping in mind that personally I have not had any problems with Seagate yet, but stores and distributors are having to deal with lots of problems.

I've checked with a few local stores here and was told they get comebacks on a daily basis. Asked about whether this is due to a high volume and was told that the return rate is higher than it used to be int he past, with the same volume of sales in mind. So there is definately a trend - NOW....... let's be cautious this does not mean ALL Seagate drives are bad - but there are problematic batches - and some might have the same datecode and firmware, and nobody knows which batch - but it seems to affect 1TB and some 500GB........ It goes even further - Seagate acknowledges a problematic firmware but they don't go into ANY details or comments about the failure.

I have the SD15 firmware Made in Thailand and doN'T have any issues - so the problem seems to be by batch and nobody knows how many drives and where....... when you buy a drive it's basically hit and miss - which is why I recommend anybody buying a HD, buy them in pairs, make a 1:1 backup and keep all your important data and documents, homework, projects, work files, backed up on 2 quality DVDs and all your applications / install backed up as well.... On another note I asked about whether other HD manufacturers are seeing a failure rate and was told that as a whole drive failure has gone up with any drive manufacturer, but that Seagate has had a lot higher recently.

That will certainly not change my opinion on Seagate and hold me off from buying them, however I will hold back on buying the 1TB for now and stick to the 500 or 750MB until things are sroted out. All this talk about seagates recently I think I'll start having dreams of seagate drives :haha::haha::haha::haha:

//edit: Fixed text formatting for better readability ;)

Last edited:

enaberif

UPDATE: Ok since writing the post I've done a few phone calls and some research, forgeting about the inquirer's story, it seems upon checking the forums and some feedbacks (newegg and other sites to name a few) that there is the same pattern of complaints - checking seagates forum quite an unusual amount - and posts being deleted like crazy - After talking to some people I know at the retail and distributor level, it seems there might be some truth here - I've been told about an unusually higher than normal failure and returns - now keeping in mind that personally I have not had any problems with Seagate yet, but stores and distributors are having to deal with lots of problems - I've checked with a few local stores here and was told they get comebacks on a daily basis - I asked about whether this is due to a high volume and was told that the return rate is higher than it used to be int he past, with the same volume of sales in mind. So there is definately a trend - NOW....... let's be cautious this does not mean ALL Seagate drives are bad - but there are problematic batches - and some might have the same datecode and firmware, and nobody knows which batch - but it seems to affect 1TB and some 500GB........ It goes even further - Seagate acknowledges a problematic firmware but they don't go into ANY details or comments about the failure - but they have sine released a firmware fix because of massive complaints - I've been told about a highier than normal FAILURE of the drives, but most people I talked to were not aware about this "bug" that KILLS the drive - So now every article on the web has its own version and sometimes exagerating - so I went at the source and there is clearly a problem, but nobody can tell me for sure which specific firmware or drives are problematic - I have the SD15 firmware Made in Thailand and doN'T have any issues - so the problem seems to be by batch and nobody knows how many drives and where....... when you buy a drive it's basically hit and miss - which is why I recommend anybody buying a HD, buy them in pairs, make a 1:1 backup and keep all your important data and documents, homework, projects, work files, backed up on 2 quality DVDs and all your applications / install backed up as well.... On another note I asked about whether other HD manufacturers are seeing a failure rate and was told that as a whole drive failure has gone up with any drive manufacturer, but that Seagate has had a lot higher recently. That will certainly not change my opinion on Seagate and hold me off from buying them, however I will hold back on buying the 1TB for now and stick to the 500 or 750MB until things are sroted out. All this talk about seagates recently I think I'll start having dreams of seagate drives :haha::haha::haha::haha:

Enter key please.

thenewguy001

He probably has noscript running. For some reason the reply box on HWC needs javascript enabled to recognize hard returns.

Empty_Quarter

Exactly!

I know that Seagates have problems but so do everyone else.

Seagate is just bought more often than other brands so you hear more of the issues.

Not like this, there wayyy too many failures reported by the lastest wave of seagate drives, its unacceptable.

sswilson

Staff member
The whole point of this is that any respectable company should be immediately jumping in with at least an acknowledgment of the issue when there is any question of systemic problems. This is only made worse by the fact that folks depend on HDDs for storage.... can you imagine if somebody had a pile of these in "secure" raid and had them all fail in a close timeline? This isn't a typical component that can be easily replaced if it fails, it's more like a tire with a higher-than-normal rate of blowing out at high speeds with potentially catastrophic results.

In a case like this... manufacturers should at the very least be removing the suspect parts from the supply chain until they can figure out what's going on. This smells a hell of a lot like the IBM deathstar fiasco.

miggs78

I think you are right Steve. I think Seagate should at least apologize to customers, or give a hint that they are aware of this issue and are currently working on a solution. I'm sure with the amount of drives they got back from e-tailers/stores/customers they do very well know which batch(es) are affected.

I think it was Sniper who was in contact with Seagate tech support few months back, couple people bought their 640GB drives including sniper himself, and was having issues, lack of performance.. so he was basically relaying information to them as to what the issue is, trying to get some kind of solution from them, and I remember he mentioning that they were just not interested, all Seagate kept telling him was we have done tests on some drives and found no issues, we have done some more thorough tests and no issue..

How come others are having issues. I could be very wrong with my theory but frankly I think that Seagate isn't taking this all that seriously, that is why Western Digital all of a sudden gained lot of attention and their sales have picked up in the past few months..

I've just seen some very nice deals on seagate hard drives on ncix, but not sure if I want to take a chance.

reaverclan

wow that sucks i have firmware CC1F on mine am i safe? also i have a ST31000333AS which has only 3 platters so i think its unaffected.

Last edited:

3 of 7

The thing that worries me is I bought the 1T drive to copy other peoples docs to when I reformat their systems....
It's one thing to loose your own data through stupidity (lack of backups), it's another thing to loose a customers data due to the failure of a new drive.
I think I'll err on the side of caution and get a WD till they get this straightened out...
hmmmm, what to do with the Seagate though?

Latest posts