What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Small business Network Gear Advise

JD

Staff member
Seems a bit odd that it doesn't give you an estimated runtime at 50% and 100% load. Most UPS manufacturers do. You'll probably want something that's double the size of your max load though if you want more than a couple minutes.

danmitch1

Great advice guys! Im wondering if there is a proper way to calculate the approximate runtime just based of the battery capacity and system load? Maybe I should look for as @JD said something that will double my max load (and with estimated runtime info that is transparent)

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Great advice guys! Im wondering if there is a proper way to calculate the approximate runtime just based of the battery capacity and system load? Maybe I should look for as @JD said something that will double my max load (and with estimated runtime info that is transparent)
1200va UPS
300w PC load

1200/300 = 4

60min/4 =15 min

This is very rough math.

Edit: actually...without doing a whole bunch of digging and research on your gear, the gear you're buying, etc...the 'easy answer' is to get a UPS that can handle 2x max watt draw you'll see, and then spend as much as you can to get the longest runtime (aka biggest VA) within your budget.

Last edited:

danmitch1

1200va UPS
300w PC load

1200/300 = 4

60min/4 =15 min

This is very rough math.

Edit: actually...without doing a whole bunch of digging and research on your gear, the gear you're buying, etc...the 'easy answer' is to get a UPS that can handle 2x max watt draw you'll see, and then spend as much as you can to get the longest runtime (aka biggest VA) within your budget.
I knew there must have been a calculation! thanks!

The ubiquity gear (USW-Pro-24-POE and UDM-Pro) I picked the USP-RPS
Which will all reside on its own proprietary rack U-Rack-6U-TL

And I have a Dell PowerEdge R250 with a Dell PowerVault NX3240 (combined 1200watt max)
which will be wall mounted above the ubiquity in a Tripp Lite SmartRack 6U.

For the Server and Nas I dug around and found this unit, I really like the litium Ion batery and they calculate at 100% load (1200watts) It will run for ~ 13min 55s.

JD

Staff member
This is a very poorly named product FYI - it offers no battery power, it's simply gives you a redundant PSU for UniFi equipment.

They have the USP-RPS-Pro in Early Access which does have a battery input, but still does not include a battery. The USP-Battery remains unreleased.

You'll need to plug everything into a UPS.

danmitch1

This is a very poorly named product FYI - it offers no battery power, it's simply gives you a redundant PSU for UniFi equipment.

They have the USP-RPS-Pro in Early Access which does have a battery input, but still does not include a battery. The USP-Battery remains unreleased.

Ahhh crap! I thought the Unifi power connectors were proprietary.

crazyea

Holy crap. I'm sure glad I didnt buy one, and I was watching for stock, because even I assumed it was a ups. Agreed, poorly name product for sure.

JD

Staff member
Yeah I was hoping it was a 12V DC UPS too, as that would obviously be way more efficient, but alas it wasn't.