What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The AMD R9 Fury X Review; Fiji Arrives. Comment Thread

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
Hmmm. A furyX and a freesync monitor is cheaper than a 980ti and a gsync monitor. Plus you get watercooling. But, gsync is currently a better solution than freesync. The 980ti gets 10% in a few games but generally they are too close to call.
Me. I'm gonna leg out my 7970's and lightboost 27" until we get a die shrink. Then no more xfire or sli for me.
BTW Folks. If you don't have a lightboost/freesync/gsync solution yet you are wasting your time. These technologies are far more crucial to a good smooth gaming experience than framerate.

AkG

Hmmm. A furyX and a freesync monitor is cheaper than a 980ti and a gsync monitor. Plus you get watercooling. But, gsync is currently a better solution than freesync. The 980ti gets 10% in a few games but generally they are too close to call.
Me. I'm gonna leg out my 7970's and lightboost 27" until we get a die shrink. Then no more xfire or sli for me.
BTW Folks. If you don't have a lightboost/freesync/gsync solution yet you are wasting your time. These technologies are far more crucial to a good smooth gaming experience than framerate.

ding ding ding! We have a winner.

To me I rather have a 970 plus gsync than a 980Ti and non-G' monitor. Gsync is a game changer that is easily worth two gens of video card upgrades.

YMMV

Vittra

First off, thanks for that section regarding DX12. I've been wondering why different reports were coming out regarding both AMD and Nvidia's compatibility and which fully supports DX12, and this clarification that neither *fully* support it but rather focused on different aspects makes sense.

Regarding the card - that's too bad. This is not the card AMD needed. Performance ranging somewhere from less to equal to a 980 Ti, higher power consumption - in part due to the pump - reliance on water, poor overclocking, no HDMI 2.0. Unfortunately, these are the things people will carry forward, not that AMD brought us HBM.

It's main advantage is it's performance relative to it's physical size - it's essentially the card I was waiting for to throw into the M1 - especially if one is willing to get rid of the AIO and go custom loop. What remains to be seen at this point is

1) Will the air cooled Fury be a short card, providing a better option for those who want air and custom loop solutions?
2) Will the R9 Nano end up being the best option for SFF builds

It's pretty clear to me my 980 won't be going anywhere until Arctic Islands/Pascal.

About the cooler, I like liquid AIO coolers, but couldn't this pose a real issue for people who want to build Crossfire Fury X card systems without doing a full custom loop? Some cases might support putting two, maybe three of the rads in the front of a case, that might work, but I would think the options are limited, and more so if you have other AIO cooled components and rads already in case spots. Not to mention you would have tubing going everywhere to get to available fan mounts! This design might work for people building a complete custom loop if the existing rad could be removed and a user can more easily attach their own cooling. Certainly will be interesting to see how people incorporate them into Crossfire builds.

AMDs philosophy behind this is that if you are using more than 3 (realistically 2), you'd be going custom - whether that's purchased by yourself or comes pre-packaged from a AIB - or going with the standard air cooled Fury's and putting a block on those.

Just for reference, they talked about it in this video:

https://youtu.be/BWbRSHtHI6c?t=100

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
ding ding ding! We have a winner.

To me I rather have a 970 plus gsync than a 980Ti and non-G' monitor. Gsync is a game changer that is easily worth two gens of video card upgrades.

YMMV

Yes Sir. You have to see it to believe it and once you do, you will be amazed at the crap we have been gaming with since the invention of flat screen.

Beaverton

I have to say the results I'm seeing on various sites are disappointing considering all the hype there was for this card. The only hope for it now is DX12 and a price drop in the near future. Some competition would be nice in the GPU sector considering how Nvidia doesn't shy away from keeping prices high.

At this point in time it looks like getting two R9 390s in crossfire would be a better bet for performance at roughly the same cost as a fury.

YukonTrooper

I've been saying the same thing for two years now. The $300 VG248QE G-Sync module upgrade was worth every penny on release. A way better investment than upgrading my GTX 670 at the time, which I only upgraded to a 970 a few weeks ago, along with a larger G-Sync display.

FreeKnight

VisionTek Radeon R9 Fury X Graphic Card - 900814
$699 + $10 shipping
Buy the VisionTek Radeon R9 Fury X Graphic Card - 900814 at TigerDirect.ca

I'm thinking that price HAS to be an error. If it isn't then, wow, that's a deal and should be more compelling than a 980Ti (at least in price /performace).

NCIX's prices are ~$830 and Newegg.ca's are starting at $799.99, is still competitive.

Sure Visiontek isn't exactly a prestigious brand, but I'm positive that can't be right.

ntslatko

Yes Sir. You have to see it to believe it and once you do, you will be amazed at the crap we have been gaming with since the invention of flat screen.

I'd be with you two if it wasn't for the poor image & colour space of the Gsync monitors out there (which when your monitor is doing double duty as a video editing, photo editing monitor is crucial). The only good Gsyncs out there are some of the 1440 ones and their price point is absurdly high.

I'm with Lysrin as well, I miss ATI. Then again I miss my old Matrox G200 as well. ;)

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
I read the whole thing. I was reacting to just the idea. Based on nVIDIA's past history, nVIDIA's current 76% market share, the hideous Fury X overclocking results and lack of any worthy software add-ons had my guts hurting badly from laughing.

TLDR: Your "I really don't think" doesn't make the previous line go away. Thanks for the laugh.

IIF Poster = RabidFanbio then GOSUB IgnoreAllOpinions

sf101

AMD really should have had their partners develop OC tools for this GPU prior to launch.

Their releases always drive me nuts.

i cant see any reason why this card would be locked on the core voltage and i doubt its hardlocked either.

When the 290x released i couldn't oc it properly either.

Latest posts