What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Thumbnails for video files not working

ipaine

Hey guys,

So here is one that has me stumped on how to fix. You see for the longest time I had proper thumbnails of all kinds of video files, .avi, .mkv, .ogm, you name it. Then I had to go and do something like install Nero 9 on my machine. Since then (at least from what I have been able to figure) I do not have the preview thumbnails. Now all it shows is the icon for whatever program is set to open them, which in my case happens to be media player 11.

I have removed Nero and the problem is still there. I have used the disk cleanup to remove the existing thumbnails and hopefully bring them back, but again no luck. I have removed and then reinstalled K-lite codec pack and made sure that the option to generate thumbnails is selected. I have also looked into the registry after looking at a few other sources on the net and everything looks like it should in there as well.

I have also of course made sure that option to always show icons, never thumbnails is unchecked.

Really I am at quite the loss. All of the files play fine so it is not exactly the biggest deal, but it does drive me nuts. I liked the fact that I could look into a folder and see what was there from the thumbnails, not have to read it. So mainly aesthetic but still something that has me stumped.

Any one else run into this before? Oh and this is happening in Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

edit: shoot, just realized that this should have been put under the software / O/S threads. If a mod would be so kind to move it there, I would be grateful.

edit 2: Thanks to whoever moved this. :thumb:

Last edited:

ipaine

Wow, no comments or nothing. :sad:

Just so people know I still have the issue and yes I will live with it until next time I redo the OS.

sswilson

Staff member
Unfortunately I'm not running Vista so I can't comment other than to say that it's a function of the folder preferences in XP.

ipaine

Thanks for the suggestions but it seems like it will most likely be for naught.

I'm going to be replacing the motherboard on this machine with a new one and they don't have the same chipset so I will most likely be redoing the OS anyways.

JD

Staff member
Also depending on the codecs you use, could have just gotten disabled in one of those. I know Hali Media Splitter has an option for Explorer Integration (Thumbnail Extraction).

ipaine

try installing VLC media player its better than wmp11 for video anyway so many damb codecs in it lol

EDIT: forgot about my fav site lol Thumbnails in Windows Explorer - Vista Forums

I have been to that site before, good resource but alas everything is set to enable thumbnails.

Also depending on the codecs you use, could have just gotten disabled in one of those. I know Hali Media Splitter has an option for Explorer Integration (Thumbnail Extraction).

Yea, knew about that one too and double checked it as well. I have even removed basically ever codec I have and reinstalled them still no stinkin thumbnails.

That is the worst about this issue, everything says that thumbnails are turned on and should be working. And hey they do with pictures but just not the video files.:sad:

Latest posts