What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What can you use old (small) SSDs ?

LaughingCrow

I have a couple that are less than 1 tb that I put in external USB cases for backup of data I rarely use.

I have an 80 gig & 240 gig I don't know what to do with - any suggestions?

Also, I know how to disassemble a hard drive to scrap it but how do you scrap out an SSD to kill data? I use the magnets from hard drives - drill out the holes larger, screw them in and use them to hold tools.

sswilson

Staff member
I have a couple that are less than 1 tb that I put in external USB cases for backup of data I rarely use.

I have an 80 gig & 240 gig I don't know what to do with - any suggestions?

Also, I know how to disassemble a hard drive to scrap it but how do you scrap out an SSD to kill data? I use the magnets from hard drives - drill out the holes larger, screw them in and use them to hold tools.

In theory, if the SSD is still functioning you can do a secure erase. Aside from that.... hulk smash ICs with hammer.....

moocow

Use it as cache drives for Adobe type work? You can put down enough wear and tear without caring since they are pretty worth less. Other option is pair them with older rigs that doesn't have NVME sockets. As for data erase, wouldn't high enough voltage be able to kill it?

JD

Staff member
As for data erase, wouldn't high enough voltage be able to kill it?
The data integrity degrades without having any power, so the lack of power might achieve similar results, it just might take a pretty long time...

Cannon Fodder

In theory, if the SSD is still functioning you can do a secure erase. Aside from that.... hulk smash ICs with hammer.....

I've done exactly that with 1 or 2 hard drives, i.e. placed said drive(s) on a slab of concrete, and gave 'em a whack or two with a sledge hammer, such that the entire thing had a nice 'V' shape. 😁

sswilson

Staff member
I've done exactly that with 1 or 2 hard drives, i.e. placed said drive(s) on a slab of concrete, and gave 'em a whack or two with a sledge hammer, such that the entire thing had a nice 'V' shape. 😁

The field solution for disabling HDDs seems to be drilling 2 or 3 holes through the body of the drive to destroy the platters.

(And some of those drives are damn tough.... eat through bits like mad!!! ) :)

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
The last NAS drive from work I destroyed after it died I hit with a 5lb sledge until the platters broke. At least I assume it was the platters, you could hear things that sounded like broken glass inside.

LaughingCrow

The last NAS drive from work I destroyed after it died I hit with a 5lb sledge until the platters broke. At least I assume it was the platters, you could hear things that sounded like broken glass inside.
Hard drives usually have some powerful rare-earth magnets in them & worth salvaging if you can - usually in matched pairs for the arm. Sometimes there's one or two smaller ones. Depending on the drive, some of these have a very strong pull - hard to pull 2 of them apart. Others aren't quite that strong, but I screw them to a wall and they can hold a 5# hammer or other gear with no problem.

quick pic

hd-magnet.jpg

Last edited:

ipaine

Hard drives usually have some powerful rare-earth magnets in them & worth salvaging if you can - usually in matched pairs for the arm. Sometimes there's one or two smaller ones. Depending on the drive, some of these have a very strong pull - hard to pull 2 of them apart. Others aren't quite that strong, but I screw them to a wall and they can hold a 5# hammer or other gear with no problem.

Not saying how I know or anything but be very careful with those magnets. Two of them together can pinch hard enough to remove flesh. Just be careful if playing with them.

Latest posts