What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Will it be worth the wait?

Go with LGA1366 in the next month or two, or wait?

• Wait

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Go for 1366

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

browner87

I heard something about it coming out as early as Q1 2011, but maybe not. I stopped looking into it a month ago. But yes - the overclockability of the new chips isn't looking very good... I'm more than happy enough with my 950, with the option still of a 6-core CPU since it's LGA1366 and 4.5GHz should be more than fast enough for the next couple of years. My Q6600 @3GHz hasn't failed me yet for CPU intensive things. (But 4.5GHz on 4 cores/8 threads is a nice improvement :D)

zsamz_

i have 3 i7 x58 rigs and its just simply great
i also have a evga p55 with a 860 and i prefer the x58 boards

personally i wont be touching sandybrigde till Q3
for 24/7 no big improvement i7 to sandybridge

jergreen

Quick question, will the cost of current tech ie I5/I7 come down in price at all with the release of Sandy Bridge? I'm looking to upgrade from my E3110 and wondering if its worth it to wait.

browner87

Probably, but I doubt it will drop very much. A Core2Quad is only about half what it was when it was released and they are ancient now...

Polygon

Haven't read through the comments but you gotta think what's best for you... LGA 2011 will be a good system but if your just gaming on it might just be way overkill. I'd say wait for LGA 1155, if it doesn't meet your needs get a cheaper x58 setup.

You'll be waiting too long for 2011, and it'll likely be expensive and you'll have to wait some more for prices to fall.

browner87

And you will likely want to wait even longer for the good motherboards to mature, as I believe was pointed out earlier on.

Bonkers

I've already gone ahead and bought the parts. The computer would have been done a few weeks ago but the PSU was DOA, and I had to wait a bit more than a week (and pay $25 return shipping! Stupid newegg...) to get it back. But it's going good now. I'll post pics and whatnot when I'm done with my modding.

Specs so far:
Core i7-950 @4GHz (still very stable - when I get time I'll see if I can push to 4.5 or so)
Rampage III Formula
eVga GTX 470
6GB Crucial Ballistix tracer
2x WD Caviar black (1 TB) (RAID0) + 1x WD Caviar green (1.5TB) + 1x Seagate Barracuda (500GB)
Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme
Corsair TX950 (950 watt PSU)
All in my Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570

:clap:

Thanks for your reply!
Very nice specs! and congrats on the new system!
Looks pretty damn awesome so far (That's a pretty awesome overclock using the TRUE... didn't realize they could do such a great job even on the newer cpu's :shok: )

David Milch

Haven't read through the comments but you gotta think what's best for you... LGA 2011 will be a good system but if your just gaming on it might just be way overkill. I'd say wait for LGA 1155, if it doesn't meet your needs get a cheaper x58 setup.

You'll be waiting too long for 2011, and it'll likely be expensive and you'll have to wait some more for prices to fall.

naw x58 is overkill for consumers including gamers.

Ideal chip imo right now is the 875k, as long as you're going to be using 2 or fewer graphics cards and 2 or fewer memory banks.

The unlocked aspect of that chip lets you set the turbo multipliers to whatever your system can handle, which gives you a system that overclocks itself only when needed. My system runs at less than 2 GHz when idling and is absolutely silent, but ramps up to 4.2 when needed (with an increase in fan noise of course). That way you can have a 24/7 overclocked system without having to strain your components and waste energy when the extra speed isn't needed. You could do the same with the 980x, but that thing is >1k.

[note, the graphics and memory module restrictions are there because the 800 chips only have 16 pcie lanes, which means if there are three cards or more sharing them, performance drops off considerably. But the hit with 1 card is zero, and with 2 cards it's negligable. The memory module restriction is there because if you have all four dimm slots populated, the on-board memory controller in the chip won't be able to handle much in the way of memory overclocking, but it's no problem with only two slots populated.]

browner87

Thanks for your reply!
Very nice specs! and congrats on the new system!
Looks pretty damn awesome so far (That's a pretty awesome overclock using the TRUE... didn't realize they could do such a great job even on the newer cpu's :shok: )

Yeah, I love my Ultra-120. I had to buy the LGA1366 adapter for it because I bought it years ago for my Core2Quad, but after a good lapping (up to 1500 grit) and the same on the CPU, I don't think I've ever seen it exceed 90 degrees with prime95 on all 4 cores (8 threads). That's why I'm messing with it right now. I want to see how low I can get the voltages and stay stable :)

draemn

naw x58 is overkill for consumers including gamers.

Ideal chip imo right now is the 875k, as long as you're going to be using 2 or fewer graphics cards and 2 or fewer memory banks.

[note, the graphics and memory module restrictions are there because the 800 chips only have 16 pcie lanes, which means if there are three cards or more sharing them, performance drops off considerably. But the hit with 1 card is zero, and with 2 cards it's negligable. The memory module restriction is there because if you have all four dimm slots populated, the on-board memory controller in the chip won't be able to handle much in the way of memory overclocking, but it's no problem with only two slots populated.]

Yeah, the only real selling point of x58 (sorry I don't see DDR3 as a real selling point) is the 32x PCIe lanes of connectivity which is a must for SLI configurations of either top cards (i.e. 580) or 3-way. The real advantage of the Sandy bridge is they will finally bring 32nm to quad core HT/TB procs. 32nm has lower therms = higher o/c.

Latest posts