What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Winter Tires: And Why YOU Need Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

belgolas

I agree slow down. Would have been fine it you were going slower. I know I am guilty to so shouldn't really tell others to slow down.

To the anti winter tires folks. Yes they are expensive but I think even a slight advantage is better. Any chance to help you from getting hurt or worse getting someone else killed is something people should take.

Perineum

Like I said, I'm not anti winter tire, providing I'm able to afford them. I don't need them here in Surrey for sure but I've used studded winter tires up north some seasons.

My entire point is that winter tires will not stop you from drifting sideways on the road or doing 360's.

You need to drive to the conditions, your skills, and the ability of all the functional parts of your vehicle.

And God help you if you've got traction control trying to "help" you.

Pabz0r545

I agree slow down. Would have been fine it you were going slower. I know I am guilty to so shouldn't really tell others to slow down.

To the anti winter tires folks. Yes they are expensive but I think even a slight advantage is better. Any chance to help you from getting hurt or worse getting someone else killed is something people should take.

Winter tires give far more then a slight advantage. THey make the world of difference. Have any of you people driven on summer tires in the winter? I'm starting to think most of you folks have all seasons but think they are summer tires. There is a major difference and summer tires do absolutely NOTHING but slide on snow and ice.

I don't give a shit how good of a driver you think you are you can't make hard rubber soft in cold weather. It's simple as that. Hard rubber has no grip on the road or snow and does nothing but slide.

KaptCrunch

Winter tires give far more then a slight advantage. THey make the world of difference. Have any of you people driven on summer tires in the winter? I'm starting to think most of you folks have all seasons but think they are summer tires. There is a major difference and summer tires do absolutely NOTHING but slide on snow and ice.

I don't give a shit how good of a driver you think you are you can't make hard rubber soft in cold weather. It's simple as that. Hard rubber has no grip on the road or snow and does nothing but slide.

mite as well set up your viecicle for hydroplaning for thats what are doing with non-winter compound tire

also sand bag the mid section of car back seat floor pan and truck in front of rear wheels

giving more PSI to surface and tire (grip)

is the safest way to travel in cold weather

note: when not using winters store them out of sun light an cool place

Hooded

Are we not Canadians? Do we not drive in all weather and all seasons?
I'll stick with my all season radials thanks.
Only winter accident I ever had was when I had a Pathfinder with Mud & Snow tires on it. Hit black ice on a 400 to 401 on ramp turned 90º slid sideways down the ramp. Wiped out some stupid airport security guard walking down the ramp with his back to the traffic. Smart man.

Hell in a 3 hour drive to the Bruce I've been through every type of seasons weather.

BobLoblaw

Glad you are ok AmuseMe.

Just wanted to throw my two cents in. I've always thought of winter driving as more skill than equipment until last month coming down Mt Washington ski hill here on Vancouver Island there was a completely glazed section of road because of the lack of winter tires and a spot of congestion so everyone kept locking up their brakes making a wonderful downhill skating rink. The truck I was getting a ride in had winter tires and was handling it fine. The guy in front of us, not so much. He had full brake on and was just sliding. Had to keep driving into the barricade to keep from sliding away and causing an accident. The woman behind us wasn't as smart and slid right into us at about 10 km/h. With the winter tires on the truck we actually STOPPED her Jeep liberty and we didn't move any farther forward avoiding a multi-car fender bender. That really surprised me. Winter tires are amazing on ice or at least this set were. They weren't even studded!

The more you know!

Soultribunal

Staff member
Are we not Canadians? Do we not drive in all weather and all seasons?
I'll stick with my all season radials thanks.
Only winter accident I ever had was when I had a Pathfinder with Mud & Snow tires on it. Hit black ice on a 400 to 401 on ramp turned 90º slid sideways down the ramp. Wiped out some stupid airport security guard walking down the ramp with his back to the traffic. Smart man.

Hell in a 3 hour drive to the Bruce I've been through every type of seasons weather.

Problem a lot of poeple have is the compound of the 'All Season' is only good to a certain outside temp. Once that is surpassed you lose traction at an exponential rate, something that winter/snow tires take longer to suffer from. And , if you get the right tires the Temp can be pretty damn low. Mine go to -67 I believe. Something that your 'All Season' cannot do. Ever.

Now there is skill in driving involved obviously, the Winter Tire isn't the be all end all. But everything that gives you and Edge. From Keeping your tierods to balljoints to shocks and struts and brakes in good condition, to tires. It all matters.

-ST

Perineum

Because you neglected to read basically any of this thread before commenting I'll help you out.

This is post #7 from me.

While I agree that it's good to give yourself every advantage in regards to driving there is nothing saying that winter tires would have prevented this.

I drove my 86 5.0L Mustang through many winters and never had winter style tires. Traction was non-existant, of course. I drove the Coquihalla Highway during December as well, but only because an avalanche shut down the Fraser Canyon. That was a pretty awful drive because the trucks all had chains on and they chewed up the base layer making the whole trip as if I was driving on a wash board, which made the ass end of the car fishtail the entire pass.

I drove for 20 years up northern BC and never encountered "black ice". I've driven where people claimed there was black ice, but it was always apparent to me that there was ice on the road, either from a sudden lightness in steering or a sheen or sparkle of the road.

I'm not commenting on your situation at all because I was simply not there but I find that the term "black ice" up north was used like the Harley riders "I had to lay the bike down". IE: Black ice was used as if there was no way anyone could do anything and the Harley rider acting like laying the bike down was the best option he had and he or she purposely did so - which would always be the worst choice.

Anyway, really sorry to see your truck in that state. I've always preferred cars over trucks because of the rollover potential of taller vehicles.

Oh and by the way, I have over 4 pages on my driving abstract..... :thumb:
As far as tires are concerned my Mustang currently has BF Goodrich Comp TA KDW. They call them an "summer tire" but whatever. A soft compound tire for summer will still do well in the winter. My Michelin Pilot Powers did excellent all year round here on my streetbike.

Hard compound or not, I'm okay with sliding. In fact it's quite fun. Stopping and accelerating are a bit of a hassle though, but I've already stated this in a previous message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts