What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

would this be a faulty hdd or could it be something else?

GUBZ

New build completed, installed ubuntu, works just ok at first then after a about a week wont log on, switched to windows 8 developer, same thing but works for 2 or 3 weeks I'm able to play some games then it stops logging in. I've heard win 8 and ubuntu to be buggy so I bite the bullet and get win7, its running quite slow and freezes up using basic programs, and less than a week it stops logging in, and windows is unable to repair. I switched sata cables and tried reinstalling the OS many times and never able to last more than a few days. I'm pretty sure its a hard drive problem, but just want to confirm here if that's what it sounds like, because I'm new at this stuff.

enaberif

New build completed, installed ubuntu, works just ok at first then after a about a week wont log on, switched to windows 8 developer, same thing but works for 2 or 3 weeks I'm able to play some games then it stops logging in. I've heard win 8 and ubuntu to be buggy so I bite the bullet and get win7, its running quite slow and freezes up using basic programs, and less than a week it stops logging in, and windows is unable to repair. I switched sata cables and tried reinstalling the OS many times and never able to last more than a few days. I'm pretty sure its a hard drive problem, but just want to confirm here if that's what it sounds like, because I'm new at this stuff.

I'd check ram first with memtest.

Dzzope

Ram is an option but with the not allowing you to login after a few days... hmm..

Doesn't hurt to check the ram (first thing I always do as a faulty stick of ram or slot can cause serious headaches and can be fairly common)..

If it passes a few hrs of testing the ram then I would suggest getting your hands on another HDD (blank and verified as working) and load up win 7...
try it out and see if it fixes the issue.. if not then it's not the disk (but may be a controller, port or cable), if it does then it's probably the disk and you will need to contact your retailer.

or try your disk in a different pc (wipe it and load windows again see if you have the same problem)

System spec's and settings may help some..

enaberif

Ram is an option but with the not allowing you to login after a few days... hmm..

Doesn't hurt to check the ram (first thing I always do as a faulty stick of ram or slot can cause serious headaches and can be fairly common)..

If it passes a few hrs of testing the ram then I would suggest getting your hands on another HDD (blank and verified as working) and load up win 7...
try it out and see if it fixes the issue.. if not then it's not the disk (but may be a controller, port or cable), if it does then it's probably the disk and you will need to contact your retailer.

or try your disk in a different pc (wipe it and load windows again see if you have the same problem)

System spec's and settings may help some..

Faulty ram = corrupt files = corrupt OS installation = Broken system

stoanee

Folding Team
Faulty ram = unfathomable operation

For me anyway. The only other one that stumped me for a bit was a failing psu.

Unfortunately many times the only way to check stuff is to replace with new. I would test ram first. There are programs to test hdd's as well. Google is your friend.

GUBZ

Specs:
Cpu: Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB

mobo: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

gpu: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP

hdd: Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 4.2MS 32MB 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

psu: XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze PSU

I tried reinstalling windows yesterday but no luck. Did a memtest, the bootable usb version, It did not find any errors throughout the night.

I also went on this forum:
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H B3 does not boot with RAM in 3rd and 4th slot - Motherboard Processor & RAM
and it said something about problems with reading the ram like how the manual says to lay them out, so I put them in the first 2 slots like they were suggested. The forum is a grammatical mess btw, kinda difficult and humorous to read. Also switched the cable to the hdd again.

reinstalled windows earlier today, when restarting after installing drivers there was a bluescreen on the windows boot up, and I restarted again and had the option to try and open it, which I tied and it worked, though windows is buggy like previous installs, and I'm sure it'll be out by tomorrow. Also got hdd scan and have my smart report here in pic, not sure the significance of them but it says there are errors, also tried a read test but it has said executing for hours and had no sign that it is doing anything. might try a different one.

also when I went to remove device to take out my usb (like seen in picture) I also have the option to remove my hdd or cd drive, I haven't seen it do this before.

I think I'll try a diff hdd scan, Does it look like something in particular to anyone? I think by tomorrow I might just take it in to a professional, because I don't have any extra working parts to test it against.

BTW thanks for the help and suggestions, I haven't had the time to fix this because of school, but now that its done I'm dying to get my new computer going.

hddscansm.jpg

GUBZ

I'll give closure to the thread.
I brought it in because i didn't have any working parts to test it against, and it turned out it was the hdd. I ordered a replacement from Western digital, and now I've gotta wait for them to send me a new one, hopefully it doesn't take too long. I'm quite eager to start playing some games now that I have the time. anyone know how long this takes? I gave them my credit card number so they can send me the part first to save time.

Latest posts