What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

4k TV choices

clshades

Well I've pretty much narrowed it down to this TV. I've been reading reviews and researching for months. Currently using a 55" sony KDL. It's been a great display though it's had netflix issues and connectivity issues, both of which I have found solutions for. Bottom line is I wanna make the jump to 4k.

The other options I considered were the 6 series TCL. I've seen these screens and they are really really good. But then I discovered an audio sync problem (most call it lip sync) The solution was running everything in stereo. Screw that noise.

Lastly I was looking at a couple different Sony(s) but they also have some weird issues, one of them not being very bright in daylight.

I've not looked into the OLED stuff as some of them are sitting right on the cusp of my budget. I am worried about the burn in problem, as I have a PS4.

I'd like to get my cost down a bit but I'm not sure I can, anyway, let me know what some of you 4k owners think.

Cheers.

FreeKnight

If you can wait until Boxing day, I'd consider seeing if there's a worthwhile deal on an OLED. I've got two now, I did have a TCL 6XX as my second TV, but after going OLED I just wasn't happy with the picture quality difference. I really is that much better than a conventional LED TV. I've used mine as both a monitor and gaming with a mix of streaming services and have no burn-in as of yet (thought I don't sit with CNN on for hours). As long as you enable the pixel shift and don't leave a game paused for days straight you're probably ok. Even games with static HUDs haven't seemed

The vizio is probably a solid option still. Rtings has a pretty in depth review if you haven't read it already;

Prickly007

Does it have to be seventy-five inches?

We've been pretty happy with the Sony x950g we just bought, actually had to turn the brightness down right out of the box. I haven't had time to fully tweak it yet.

clshades

If you can wait until Boxing day, I'd consider seeing if there's a worthwhile deal on an OLED. I've got two now, I did have a TCL 6XX as my second TV, but after going OLED I just wasn't happy with the picture quality difference. I really is that much better than a conventional LED TV. I've used mine as both a monitor and gaming with a mix of streaming services and have no burn-in as of yet (thought I don't sit with CNN on for hours). As long as you enable the pixel shift and don't leave a game paused for days straight you're probably ok. Even games with static HUDs haven't seemed

The vizio is probably a solid option still. Rtings has a pretty in depth review if you haven't read it already;
which OLED did you end up getting? Yes I can wait.

Prickly007

Bigger is better man!

So when you said, "I'd like to get my cost down a bit...'. That was what, a load of crap? :D :LOL:

We opted for 55" as 1) it fit the space better and 2) costs go up a lot faster than size. In the case of the x950g, less than a twenty percent increase in size (55 to 65") would have resulted in costs going up almost fifty percent.

clshades

So when you said, "I'd like to get my cost down a bit...'. That was what, a load of crap? :D :LOL:

We opted for 55" as 1) it fit the space better and 2) costs go up a lot faster than size. In the case of the x950g, less than a twenty percent increase in size (55 to 65") would have resulted in costs going up almost fifty percent.
Already have a 55" If i had 10k to blow on a TV I would in a second. Looks like all OLED tv's have burn in problems but I don't do tons of static gaming or sports. The review I read says a static display on an LED of 30 minutes equates to 1 hour on OLED. It would definitely be a 65 if i went OLED though. 75's are way too much.

This one looks decent

FreeKnight

which OLED did you end up getting? Yes I can wait.
I have a 65" B7 and a 55"C7 if I remember correctly. Outside of the stand and backplate cover they're functionally identitcal. The newest models even allow GSync :O ( 2019 OLED TV models E9 (65 and 55 inches), C9 (77, 65, and 55 inches) as well as B9 (65 and 55 inches). )

Almost makes me want to sell my 65" and get a newer one :D

Entz

Given that there is only 1 company making panels and I am not sure they are even different between models (B9 vs C9) so it really comes down to features. I think Sony still has the video processing edge but that may be a moot point if you have a good AVR or don't really care.

I would just go with LG personally, they make the panels. C9 is exceptionally well done.

JD

Staff member
I thought the big differences between B, C and E were the speaker setup mostly, along with slightly different stands. Panels and processing were/are the same.

Sony's OLEDs have always held a slight lead though as their processing engine is better than LG's, though they do use the same panel.

I'll still say be cautious though, as lovely as my OLED looks, it does have burn in from the news channel on it in the mornings/evenings.

Latest posts