What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

Prickly007

If gaming consumes most of your recreational/entertainment purposes, $2000 really isn't that much. Assuming you play a couple hours most days, probably somewhere around $5/hr over the course of a year to "pay it off" so to speak.

A little mining can also help with the cost. A 3090 can bring in (I think) around $20 Cdn per day on Nicehash.

Lysrin

If gaming consumes most of your recreational/entertainment purposes, $2000 really isn't that much. Assuming you play a couple hours most days, probably somewhere around $5/hr over the course of a year to "pay it off" so to speak.

Just have to do the math to justify it to yourself! Of course, this coming from somebody that has put a 3090 in his cart a fair number of times but never been able to actually commit...

Congrats on the purchase @magiwizard and enjoy!
That's an impressive bit of rationalizing right there! I like it! lol

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
A little mining can also help with the cost. A 3090 can bring in (I think) around $20 Cdn per day on Nicehash.
Its hash rate is about 20% higher than a 3080. Price is a bad metric to use really as it varies with the 'stock'. I think with current valuation of BTC that $20 is a bit high.

crazyea

I am on the EVGA step up queue, but I have no faith in it. They are still on launch day shipments. lol

rjbarker

I am on the EVGA step up queue, but I have no faith in it. They are still on launch day shipments. lol

Yep my name has been on a 3080 FTW as of 5 Oct.....queue has been sitting on Sept 19th for weeks......MemX called me back but they will not send cards to Westcoast locations or ship here,,,,too bad as the guy told me he had a strix 3090 that he would put aside for me....then he realized I wouldnt be in to pick it up.....
He also said he was getting a shipment of 15 Cards in end of this week, all to fill back orders.........
What a debacle .......

draemn

I see a few Evga 3090's and 1 Asus Strix 3090 available "in store only" at both the Hamilton and London MemX stores.
I sent them an email asking if I can purchase and have them ship it?

Anyone know if this is an option?
Unlikely. If you talk directly to someone at the store, they might be willing to bend the rules for you, but idk. The general policy is they don't ship items from local stores as their system is not set up to capture the extra costs of shipping, etc.

mGz

Well, that's assuming you're not thermal throttling (hash rates drop from 105+ down to 70ish). Core temps stay relatively cool but vram modules can reach 105-115C. Nobody wants to maintain these temps 24/7 and few people were even aware of the problem because most people only read GPU temps through afterburner or precision. Most people just assumed having a core temp of 75-80C meant they were "fine" but the reality is your vram temps are generally 30C hotter.

The problem is significantly worse with 3090's since the additional GDDR6X modules near the backplate are passively cooled. Without modding or a custom loop it's impossible to sustain such hash rates to make $20/day.

The real losers will be people that purchase these cards second hand once they start flooding the market.

Last edited:

crazyea

Unlikely. If you talk directly to someone at the store, they might be willing to bend the rules for you, but idk. The general policy is they don't ship items from local stores as their system is not set up to capture the extra costs of shipping, etc.
I have been offered several times while in in the Langley store to ship an item frim Victoria to my home. Now this was for a Lian-Li o11, and I was physically there, but still applies. All the guy said was that I would have to pay shipping to my home.

rjbarker

Fvckn miners n scalpers....piss me off....get a life please!!!
I have been offered several times while in in the Langley store to ship an item frim Victoria to my home. Now this was for a Lian-Li o11, and I was physically there, but still applies. All the guy said was that I would have to pay shipping to my home.

Yeah stores in Ontario said they would not ship to BC nor ship from one store (in Ont) to BC....due to C19......how the hell this has anything to do with C19 is beyond me,,,,,anyhow, on a reserve list for MX Victoria store.....fvckin insane, never seen anything like it....wonder how many of those 15 Evga FTW Ultras going to the London Ont store will wind up on ebay at +1K mark up......bastards.... !!!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts