What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Newegg CANADA? Looks like....

b1lk1

I still think they are going about it all wrong. It looks to me like they will just be shipping TO Canada, not FROM Canada. I know I keep beating this statement to death, but I just cannot get past UPS being their shipper of choice. Plus as I said in the other thread, the fact they are charging taxes for ALL provinces is pretty much the proof they are not going to be inside Canada, they are just pre-clearing Customs and those charges are sure to be the cause for higher prices too. They can't touch NCIX/DC this way and there will be no competitve benefit either.

geokilla

Uhh, what is UPS? Is it the same as Fedex and stuff? If so, isn't that what NCIX uses?

I'm sticking with NCIX. Newegg = expensive.

Chilly

well, techniclly they have not launched yet, so give them a break on pricing, remeber they also use a dynamic pricing system that auto adjusts its self based on demand of said product, so it might take a couple weeks-months for non sale(I assume they pick sale items manually at most companies/stores :p) items to normalize to proper prices

biff

Uhh, what is UPS? Is it the same as Fedex and stuff? If so, isn't that what NCIX uses?

What? Haven't you seen the 'Brown' commercials or the thousands of trucks? Yes they're the same type of service as Fedex and Purolator. UPS is fine when shipping from within Canada (except I have to drive 50km to thier depot to get my stuff) but if you ship something from the states they RAPE you on brokerage charges and other fees. For instance I made a ~$200USD order from the states and had a $90 bill when they showed up and that is after paying the original shipping fees.

Trax416

What? Haven't you seen the 'Brown' commercials or the thousands of trucks? Yes they're the same type of service as Fedex and Purolator. UPS is fine when shipping from within Canada (except I have to drive 50km to thier depot to get my stuff) but if you ship something from the states they RAPE you on brokerage charges and other fees. For instance I made a ~$200USD order from the states and had a $90 bill when they showed up and that is after paying the original shipping fees.

This is not totally true.

I ordered a Rosewill Wireless Adapter Via Newegg Canada a few days ago, as it was not available on NCIX. The total came to $42 including shipping and tax, which was cheaper then what Ncix was offering for a wireless card that was worse then the one I ordered. Shipping cost me $14 for 1-6 day, and was via UPS.

The Emails they sent me were very professional. The tracking number they sent me, and the tracking on Newegg itself worked immediately, unlike with Ncix. They also had the new Mastercard security measure, something NCIX does not.

They shipped my item from California; it got here in 3 days, and I paid NO brokerage OR duty for the item. I didn't even have to sign for it.

I browse these forums regularly, and felt compelled to sign up when I read this. As far as I know, computer items are exempt from duty under NAFTA.

Now my Item was not extremely expensive, so I can't say if you would get hit with brokerage fee's for anything over $100.

I also want to mention that the packaging was far superior to what Ncix offers. I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of Items from Ncix, and they always pack them with air pockets on top, and the item pressed against the bottom of the box with no protection at all. Sometimes, with some crushed up brown paper inside. If you have ever seen how people at Purolator (especially) or UPS handle items, it's quite idiotic to do this, as they just toss everything around.

Newegg on the other hand sent my item in a box large enough to in case the entire thing in foam peanuts on the sides, as well as top and bottom.

I will continue to order from Ncix, as their prices are simply superior. However the moment Newegg offers comparable or cheaper prices, I am switching, as I was extremely impressed with how fast and professional they were.

So does anyone know if they have any shipping factories in Canada?

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
So does anyone know if they have any shipping factories in Canada?

That's what everybody is trying to figure out, and the fact that they're charging full GST/PST in every province seems to suggest they don't, and are planning on shipping everything from the States.

geokilla

If anyone wants to see what the Newegg warehouses look like and how they package their shipping items, let me know.

@biff. Thanks for the clear up.

3oh6

I didn't even have to sign for it...snipped

...I browse these forums regularly, and felt compelled to sign up when I read this. As far as I know, computer items are exempt from duty under NAFTA.
100% false. computer hardware is as taxable as anything coming over the border.

as for why your order didn't have duty/brokerage/taxes...it's because you already paid them. clearly Newegg is shipping from the US and charging both taxes at time of payment. they are then including the borkerage/duty portion in the shipping charges and pre-clearing items so we don't pay when the package arrives.

this is what a few companies do and obviously Newegg has struck a killer deal with UPS to pull this off. with that said, we are still going to be paying ambitious shipping charges. the logistics of Newegg shipping across border when you factor in returns is completely insane if you ask me. Newegg is likely better at figuring out the numbers than i am but it just doesn't seem feasible...and $14 shipping for a NIC, no "bleeping" thanks :thumb:

and great, you "didn't even have to sign for it" means UPS will be free to leave packages for the neighbors to grab as they please...another reason UPS is the WORST courier there is...period.

Dashock

Yes id like to sign my packages before i recieve them its a form of security for both UPS and us. Ill try out newegg when the prices come down but like other people have said the 2 taxes is a turn off.

Latest posts