What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Newegg CANADA? Looks like....

Trax416

100% false. computer hardware is as taxable as anything coming over the border.

as for why your order didn't have duty/brokerage/taxes...it's because you already paid them. clearly Newegg is shipping from the US and charging both taxes at time of payment. they are then including the borkerage/duty portion in the shipping charges and pre-clearing items so we don't pay when the package arrives.

this is what a few companies do and obviously Newegg has struck a killer deal with UPS to pull this off. with that said, we are still going to be paying ambitious shipping charges. the logistics of Newegg shipping across border when you factor in returns is completely insane if you ask me. Newegg is likely better at figuring out the numbers than i am but it just doesn't seem feasible...and $14 shipping for a NIC, no "bleeping" thanks :thumb:

and great, you "didn't even have to sign for it" means UPS will be free to leave packages for the neighbors to grab as they please...another reason UPS is the WORST courier there is...period.

Under the terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement, there are no tariff barriers to computer hardware and software trade between Canada and the United States. All U.S. computer hardware and software exports to Canada are duty free.
Domestic Production

Maybe I am looking at something old here, but I have never had to pay duty for a computer item shipped to me from America, unless it was from Ebay and the sender did not list it correctly. I have also sent pre-built computers to America, and the buyer did not have to pay any type of border tax.

I hope Newegg does open up a warehouse in Canada, or they are in the process of doing so, and are waiting for the official launch of the site, because currently, I pay only $20 more ordering say a 4870 from Newegg over Ncix, and the item is slightly more expensive before taxes and shipping on newegg. Also, it would illimate the brokerage fee you say I pay.

When I was living in America for work, I ordered off Newegg regularly, and compared to Ncix, Newegg is on a different level, at least it's America sector. It's faster, cheaper(with exchange), more secure, tracking is better, out of stock items become in stock faster, and their selection of products is unmatched.

I can only hope Newegg Canada ends up like this. Right now it's no contest between Ncix and Newegg Canada, but Newegg Canada is still only a beta site, and hopefully everything is hammered out before launch.

I don't have a problem with not having to sign for my item from UPS. But, I also don't live in a garbage neighborhood where someone would steal one of my packages. I can see someone who might have this happen to them, or live in a building would not like it. However, it's not something exclusive to UPS. I have gotten items from Purolator where I did not have to sign, and they also have lost 4 items of mine, only to find them 4 months later, broken, after attempting to deliver them to various addresses all over Toronto.

Alwaysrun

I'm pretty stoked about Newegg.ca coming to Canada. I like the fact that I'll be able to pricematch from another source outside the NCIX family of stores. I suspect NCIX won't have much competition in the long run as thier low prices are due to thier proximity to manufacturers around the pacific rim. As far as taxes are concerned I'm a BC resident so I'm obligated to pay both PST/GST so thats a moot point with both etailers for me. As far as courrier service I always get ground shipping via purolator and if I order before 10am one day I've always gotten my parts the following day by 2pm and it's cheap!

Last edited:

Latest posts