What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery Dell G5 5000 series Desktop Cooling Mod (including a 3D Printed Rear adapter)

Lysrin

Adding a Bequiet Slim 2:

As per other online suggestions, it's possible to replace the stock heatsink. Not absolutely necessary since the temps I showed above aren't absolutely horrible, but certainly can't hurt. That said... there's a height limitation so we're stuck using either LP downdraft coolers or tower coolers w/ 92mm fans. The one I've seen mentioned most often as an "almost" drop-in replacement was the CM Hyper T2, but I'd also been eying the original Bequiet Slim so it was pretty much destined to be when I saw reviews coming out for ver 2.

The only thing to keep in mind when sourcing a cooler for this is that you can't install an aftermarket backplate without major modifications (the existing one is part of the case side? ) so it needs to be a cooler that has mounting similar to what you'd see on a WC block with the appropriate arms with holes that will accept an M3 screw.

View attachment 31667

View attachment 31668

View attachment 31669

On the left in the second image is what you're looking for in mounting hardware.... basically arms that attach to the heatsink with holes that line up with the standard intel 15XX spacing. We're not going to use the existing plastic mounting method and they're easy enough to remove by rotating them to the flat spot and then prying up a bit on the tab I've indicated in the last image.

I don't have any close up images of it, but once that's done, and the stock dell cooler is removed all you need is 4 M3X16 screws with washers that are large enough to secure the holes on the cooler's arms and you're good to go. (They'll thread right into the existing backplate on the board). I went a step further (just because I had the hardware on hand) and used some spacers between the bottom of the arms and the motherboard (The spacers measured @ 3.85mm, but I would have gone a little shorter if I was going to print them off), but that's not absolutely required, just make sure you're not torqueing the screws to a point where you're going to bend the arms.

View attachment 31670

View attachment 31671

There it is installed with the case side on and off.... The "button" tips for the tube ends is a nice touch, and makes this $50 (to the door from B&H) cooler look a lot less budget than it actually is.

View attachment 31673

Stock Cooler at "performance" settings in the alienware control software.

View attachment 31674

And there you have it.... 12C improvement at full load using the stock "performance" settings in the alienware control software.
Wow. 12C is a pretty impressive improvement for $50. Nice!

sswilson

Staff member
Wow. 12C is a pretty impressive improvement for $50. Nice!

Yeah, pretty decent. Also important to note that this isn't with a maxed out fan profile, it's the default "performance" setting which is around 65% RPM for the stock cooler and closer to 60% for the Bequiet.

sswilson

Staff member
I had a request for info about airflow through the metal case front...

Case Front.jpg

The question was specific to the top portion which is closed as opposed to open. 95mm from the top down.

That said.... looking at this again, I'm thinking that a printed 80mm fan mount would match up better to the existing air holes than the one I posted up above. (Maybe somebody will design one?? ;) ).

Ideally though.... if a person was dedicated to modding this case for the best cooling they'd be well advised to consider cutting out portions of the front case frame.

sswilson

Staff member
I had a request for info about airflow through the metal case front...

View attachment 31675

The question was specific to the top portion which is closed as opposed to open. 95mm from the top down.

That said.... looking at this again, I'm thinking that a printed 80mm fan mount would match up better to the existing air holes than the one I posted up above. (Maybe somebody will design one?? ;) ).

Ideally though.... if a person was dedicated to modding this case for the best cooling they'd be well advised to consider cutting out portions of the front case frame.

Had another look at this WRT using an 80mm vice the 120mm + printed mount and came to the conclusion that the 120 is probably the best option if you can get access to the printed part. That top grill isn't quite 80mm high but is slightly wider than 80mm so it wouldn't be an easy mount (like the lower 80mm), and the 120mm mounted with the printed bracket doesn't sit flush so there's a little bit of room for it to draw air from areas other than directly from the open grillwork you can see.

Bond007

Had another look at this WRT using an 80mm vice the 120mm + printed mount and came to the conclusion that the 120 is probably the best option if you can get access to the printed part. That top grill isn't quite 80mm high but is slightly wider than 80mm so it wouldn't be an easy mount (like the lower 80mm), and the 120mm mounted with the printed bracket doesn't sit flush so there's a little bit of room for it to draw air from areas other than directly from the open grillwork you can see.
Mod for a 92mm? Probably not worth the effort.

sswilson

Staff member
Mod for a 92mm? Probably not worth the effort.

Probably not. The 120mm using the existing printed bracket seems to move a fair bit of air and I'm not hearing anything to suggest that it's struggling to get an air supply.