What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

First upgrade since 2012

JD

Staff member
Might depend where you live, but Newegg stuff usually has shipped same day/next day for me, and then arrives a day later. I'm in Toronto though and their office is in Mississauga as far as I know.

I wouldn't personally buy extra warranty on PC parts, but that's just me. Maybe I've been really lucky, but haven't had anything break in recent years, the last RMA I can remember doing was back with the Radeon HD4850 as they had a single slot heatsink and overheated.

Shadowmeph

for myself I had issues with delivery to my door when ever I ordered from Newegg and if I remember correctly ( its beens a few years) you couldn't pick the service, I prefer CP that way I can just get it sent to the PO less then a block away from my place in BC, this actually was why I Stopped using new egg

Last edited:

antoninb

Here's what I've ordered...

- ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
- Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB
- Antec Performance Series P101 Silent Black
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
- CORSAIR RMx Series RM650x 2018

All ordered through NewEgg and shipping to the PO.

moocow

I really got an itch to upgrade but with Zen3 + 3D VCache just a few months away, I don't know if it's a good time since I'm already on a 1600AF w/ 3060TI.

Bond007

I really got an itch to upgrade but with Zen3 + 3D VCache just a few months away, I don't know if it's a good time since I'm already on a 1600AF w/ 3060TI.
I will be curious to see how any zen 3 revisions get supported. My expectation is 5 series boards only. When zen 3 came out it seemed like amd was going to cut some boards for support, but eventually gave in…however I seem to remember reading that that would be it. We will see!

Last edited:

moocow

I don't expect my X470 to be supporting any kind of revised Zen 3 / 5K series. It will be a new board + CPU upgrade for me and the 1600AF will be replacing my server (i5-6400 + Z170).

antoninb

An update - all good news so far. All of the parts arrived, and have been assembled. I decided to go with a new Win10 build, versus cloning. I'm now in the process of transferring a couple of drives into the new box. The VMs run well. Over all, this is a very fast machine, compared to what I have been using. The only item of note was that by default, the CSM in the bios was off, and as a result, the machine would not recognize the NVMe as a usable drive. Turning CSM on fixed that problem.

antoninb

A final update. This system remains stable, and flies compared to my previous machine. The only thing I've noticed is that clearly the 5600G APU has a kneecapped version of Radeon onboard compared to a discrete video card. My previous build had been using a 43" Panasonic Viera TV as the monitor without difficulty. This AMD APU does not offer HDMI scaling, and as a result, I've had to revert to a Samsung 2494. It's my largest current monitor. Aside from that, I have no complaints. I'm not a gamer, so I don't have any urgency to buy a discrete video card. Again, thanks to everyone for their comments. :)

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
A final update. This system remains stable, and flies compared to my previous machine. The only thing I've noticed is that clearly the 5600G APU has a kneecapped version of Radeon onboard compared to a discrete video card. My previous build had been using a 43" Panasonic Viera TV as the monitor without difficulty. This AMD APU does not offer HDMI scaling, and as a result, I've had to revert to a Samsung 2494. It's my largest current monitor. Aside from that, I have no complaints. I'm not a gamer, so I don't have any urgency to buy a discrete video card. Again, thanks to everyone for their comments. :)

Can you expand on the video portion? The resolutions supported by Vega 8 shouldn't have an issue pushing to any tv between 720p to 4k over HDMI.

antoninb

Can you expand on the video portion? The resolutions supported by Vega 8 shouldn't have an issue pushing to any tv between 720p to 4k over HDMI.
I'm not sure what to tell you, aside from the definite fact that the HDMI scaling slider section of the Radeon software UI does not appear. I have tried everything, including a full factory reset. I can only conclude that the APU's graphic functions are limited. I've contacted AMD support several times, and nobody seems to be able to confirm or deny that HDMI scaling should be possible with Radeon and this GPU.

Latest posts