What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

Lysrin

Yeah, we do still have a landline. We're retired, spend most time at home, and while I tend to keep mine with me, my better half only has her cell with her when she's out and about.

It's still the primary telephone number we give out.
Is yours still a "real" landline though? I decided to give up ours when both Eastlink and Bell had digital setups that needed battery to run when the power goes out. Gone are the days of the old landline that kept working.

So at that point, I figured I'm just paying for another line for nothing. My cell lasts longer than 8 hours, what Eastlink's and Bell's battery backups claimed. They were even shorter than that in my experience.

Not dumping on your purchase! Good deal. I was just curious as the majority of folks I know have ditched the landline.

sswilson

Staff member
Is yours still a "real" landline though? I decided to give up ours when both Eastlink and Bell had digital setups that needed battery to run when the power goes out. Gone are the days of the old landline that kept working.

So at that point, I figured I'm just paying for another line for nothing. My cell lasts longer than 8 hours, what Eastlink's and Bell's battery backups claimed. They were even shorter than that in my experience.

Not dumping on your purchase! Good deal. I was just curious as the majority of folks I know have ditched the landline.

Yeah, I believe you're right on that. My previous bell setup kept working during power outages but I'm pretty sure the rogers network is full IP Telephone that loses connection if the neighbourhood cable distribution node goes down. (I've been warned that the internet connection will more than likely be lost during a power outage even if I keep the modem up and running with a UPS).

JD

Staff member
When I had Rogers Home Phone long, long ago, it was a separate modem that had a battery backup within. I presume that isn't the case anymore? Much like Bell's HH4000/GigaHub don't have any battery power either.

I'd suspect Bell's Fiber network stays up longer than Roger's though, simply because Bell likely has a lot of generator capacity available from having to power traditional copper telephone lines in the past.

crazyea

I use Ooma for a landline. Probably 4 years now. Love it. It’s less than $5/month.

I keep it for my kids to use in emergency or a home phone for the school and doctors etc to call.

Modem and ooma plugged into a ups. We’ve had power outages and the phone still works. As for a neighborhood outage that can happen with traditional lines too.

Izerous

Folding Team
I use Ooma for a landline. Probably 4 years now. Love it. It’s less than $5/month.

I keep it for my kids to use in emergency or a home phone for the school and doctors etc to call.

Modem and ooma plugged into a ups. We’ve had power outages and the phone still works. As for a neighborhood outage that can happen with traditional lines too.
I think Voip.MS costs me in the end about $2-3/mo basically the main fee is the phone number reservation. Long distance at $0.005/minute is awfully cheap even hours at a time

ZeroFlux

I don't think it is devious at all, it is an accepted form of return. And if I had bought it through Amazon I would just initiate a return because they never just credit the difference on a sale price on their own site vice a purchase before the sale. I'll stand by my purchase proudly, and wish I just waited until today, I guess! Stoopid sales.
They do credit, it’s just takes abit of complaining.

I just picked up some Nikon Monarch M5 binoculars for a gift for my dad and Amazon had those crazy price swings of over 80$. Every time I refreshed I got a different price.

Long story short, 1H after purchase they dropped another 20$ so I contacted support and they have the normal we don’t price match, so I said cancel the order, and they turned around and said we will just credit the difference once you receive the item.

I got a transcript of the support chat, and when they came in the new support chat tried to make me return the item to order another one.

I said no, I have an email with the chat saying you will credit me.

About 30 minutes of then trying everything to get me to drop it they finally just gave me my 20$.

At that point I didn’t care about the 20$, it was more on principle that you said you would do this so now you’re going to do it.

Either way, nice binoculars NIKON Monarch M5

crazyea

I think Voip.MS costs me in the end about $2-3/mo basically the main fee is the phone number reservation. Long distance at $0.005/minute is awfully cheap even hours at a time
These are the fees I pay. It actually just went up. I don’t know how ooma gets paid because it all goes to the government.

Here are the current applicable monthly taxes and fees for your postal code:

DescriptionAmount
Regulatory Compliance Fee (What's this?)CAD $2.72
911 Service Fee (What's this?)CAD $2.43
Provincial and local taxes, fees and surcharges (What's this?)
Details
CAD $0.64
Click here to read our full Terms and Conditions.Total:
CAD $5.79

Izerous

Folding Team
These are the fees I pay. It actually just went up. I don’t know how ooma gets paid because it all goes to the government.

Here are the current applicable monthly taxes and fees for your postal code:

DescriptionAmount
Regulatory Compliance Fee (What's this?)CAD $2.72
911 Service Fee (What's this?)CAD $2.43
Provincial and local taxes, fees and surcharges (What's this?)
Details
CAD $0.64
Click here to read our full Terms and Conditions.Total:
CAD $5.79
Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 10.22.00 PM.pngThis is what an 11 month bill looks like (year to date). I pay in $40 USD increments and when the balance is nearly out I can add more or setup auto deposits which is why there is a random $40 deposit in april.

Izerous

Folding Team
View attachment 35557This is what an 11 month bill looks like. I pay in $40 USD increments and when the balance is nearly out I can add more or setup auto deposits which is why there is a random $40 deposit in april.
Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 10.30.10 PM.png
5 years of service totaled ~$176.80 USD
Averages < $3 USD/mo

Literally talking maybe the difference of $1.50/mo CAD difference but the fees have never changed even 5 years ago the monthly fee is the same as it is today.

Did have to buy the voip box upfront but it has more than paid for itself over the years.

EDIT: Cisco SPA112/SPA122, in the office just using Aastra phones directly.

Last edited:

clshades

I paid for the upgraded version to stop the spam calls. But Ooma is pretty decent. International calls are free which is handy. We have customers all over north america, england, and Australia.

Latest posts