What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Forum Bug Reports & Suggestions

Lysrin

I have never used “what’s new”.

I just click new posts.
I believe that is the same behaviour that I'm looking for on that button at the home forum level page, but that button isn't available on all pages, at least not that I can see. So once you go into a thread, to use that button you'd have to back out to the home and then get the button again. Or access the menu item as I said.

@sswilson same comment as to @crazyea.

Edit: Another option would be to keep that button available on all pages, but then you do have to go back to the top to see it. The top menu remains visible at all times.

crazyea

I just use the back button when I’m done with a thread. On that page you can click new posts again.

But yeh, I agree having the button more readily available throughout the site would be a good idea.

Lysrin

I just use the back button when I’m done with a thread. On that page you can click new posts again.

But yeh, I agree having the button more readily available throughout the site would be a good idea.
The other thing I've noticed with the back button and new posts behaviour is, of course, since it's a browser back operation it displays the list of unread posts as it was when I first loaded them, based on page history. The browser back doesn't access the web application's state, so that make sense.

If I click into an unread post, then click back, that thread is still in the list. In order to have the list of new posts reducing as they are read, if you use the back button, that means clicking back and then the New Posts button (or What's New -> New Posts if the button isn't available). IMO that's extra clicking so I usually just opt for the two click What's New -> New Posts that is available everywhere.

Ideally I'd like to have a single click to get that same result, on all pages, and avoid menu navigation for that function. That's why I suggested making the What's New click do what the New Posts click does.

I'd be curious to know if the current What's New functionality by clicking that top level menu item is useful to anyone?

Lysrin

You don’t need a new post button you need an unread posts button.
Yes, exactly. But that is what the "New Posts" button and menu item functionality is displaying. I'm just saying make that same functionality for the What's New click :)

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I was just fiddling with my profile and preferences and when I tried to add my Discord account it pops up this error message protesting about my use of the # hash tag that is required. am I doing something wrong or is that a glitch?

1672531942052.png

Latest posts