What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

4 Ghz stable(?)

bkh2

http://www.sfu.ca/~bkh2/4GHZ.jpg

I am currently running at 4.0 ghz on Prime95.

Are the temps okay? I'm running a W/C Loop with just a Swiftech GTZ block and a 3x120mm rad.

BCLK: 200
Vcore: 1.3V

Everything else left on auto.

Is there any way I can go higher? The max Vcore is 1.375V (by Intel) right? I have no experience overclocking RAM. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Chris

I am not anywhere near the experts here, but it seems that 80c is pretty high for water cooled. Also, look into the vdimm in bios and see what it says. I tried auto once, and it set vdimm to 1.79v on my board, so I now set vdimm manually.

gingerbee

80c is very high for water. with an ambient of 30c in my house i never go over 76 core at full load prime so my question is what's your ambient room temps. what rad do you have heat load from the i7 is quite a bit

bkh2

@ Gingerbee - I am also around 30C for ambient temp. I don't know why my temps are so bad =[

I am currently using Swiftech 3x120mm Rad. Also, is my voltage okay? It's not too high, is it?

@ Chris - Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at my vdimm in a bit.

gingerbee

wow you have the same rad as me too. is your block locked down all the way? ( without breaking anything that is ha ha )
other thought is it could just be the voltage your at i am only at 1.2 so if you can go lower then i would. and i never trust auto ether

bkh2

My ram is actually rated at 1600, not 2000.

Do I need to change DRAM, UCLK, PCIE, or QPI data rate frequencies, or is it okay to leave those on auto?

Also, what are all those other voltages for in http://www.sfu.ca/~bkh2/P8020026.JPG ?

I'll give those voltages a shot, Gingerbee. Thanks for the help.

Airshehan

If you would like your processor to have a longer life, stick to a maximum voltage of 1.3v! 80C is a little too hot in my opinion! The maximum temp for this CPU is approximately 90C. I would recommend you install some more case fans, change the waterblock if it is performing poorly and/or apply some new good quality thermal paste. If none of these bring down the temps, down clock your CPU to 3.6-3.8GHz! Good luck!

bkh2

@ Airshehan - Thanks! My thermal paste at the moment is Tuniq TX-2 from way back when. Should I change to The Chill Factor thermal paste? These are the only 2 that I have, excluding the one that came with the waterblock. That one just looks really ghetto...

And yes, I think you are right. I think I will reduce my frequency, since I'm not aiming for any benchmarks. I just wanted to see if I could hit 4 Ghz :D

As far as extra case fans, the case I'm using right now (Thermaltake Xaser III, oldschool :p) is not too great. It's got seven 80mm fans that don't do much, really...

Latest posts