What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Deneb

Chilly

Interesting looking chip. Maybe a 2xxx series stumble -> 3xxx road to success story again? AMD looks like it may have a decent chip, nothing to bring the i7 down, but a decent competitor regardless. Looks like I might get a AM3 system just to pay with when the AM3 chips come out in Jan. :biggrin:

Exmortis

Interesting looking chip. Maybe a 2xxx series stumble -> 3xxx road to success story again? AMD looks like it may have a decent chip, nothing to bring the i7 down, but a decent competitor regardless. Looks like I might get a AM3 system just to pay with when the AM3 chips come out in Jan. :biggrin:

i7 isn't looking up to be much of an imprrovment oveer Core2, in fact Intel just reveresed its design and AMD as well. Core2 was a great desktio arc, no one can argue but didnt match Barcelona in servers. Phenom how ever was not a great desktop CPU and Core 2 was awesome.

Now i7 is a step for server side and not really much on desktop side, Phenom II is all desktop side not much on serverside. I think you will see a much closer gap.

In the end I use my hime system for gaming and other non trivial uses. MEdia encodnig means nothing to me, nor does SiSandra. I7 isn't got much over Core2 in that arena, and Phenom II will be a massive upgrade (of course lets face is AMD has alot more groudn to rise with then Intel).

Like Intel did with the P4, AMD stumbled with Phenom.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Let's see this done with the retail chips please. IMO, if the chip could do 3.6Ghz+ consistently on air, AMD would not have thought twice about launching it with a higher clock speed.

Exmortis

Dude Intel is speed binning for overclocks, they speed bin but downwards. It is so obvious, and hell why not they have the head room and the arcitecture to allow for it. I would do it too, but anyone can get great overclocks when you speed bin backwards.

Its AMD's own fault too, Phenom walked out with TLB, and lets face lack luster design. Intel was caught off guard, suddenly their competitor that had been kicking up down all over stumbled and fell flat on its face. A door opened and Intel has taken to the stars. AMD let Intel run rampant with out a leash, and they have paid dearly for it.

Dashock

hmm 5ghz thats some speed i wish software makers would make applications use these cores. Speed can only help you soo much till they become redundant and good for Amd chip it away baby!

kirk_d

An unrelated link, Ha.:rofl:

I'm jealous. Nice work
How's the water? 4 ghz? :ph34r:

If the retail parts are as good as that, going ddr2 with a decent mobo will be hundreds less than a I7 setup.

Going to be a horrible time to release a new proc. though.
If I still have a job, I'm getting one!

m1dget

I can't wait to see if their chip will really be able to do something good... and finally compete with intel's Q9*50 series.
I'm getting tired of my darn phenom. :blarg:

Latest posts