What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD's RDNA 3 is Going to be IMPRESSIVE!

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team

AMD just had their Financial Analyst day today and they just spoiled us with a ton of information for all of their upcoming products. So let’s get into some of it!

First, there's the entire core architecture roadmap. AMD basically gave us a list of architectures that are going to be released in some way in the next 2 and half years. We got Zen 4, obviously, Zen 4 V cache, interesting but we’ll get back to it soon, and Zen 4C which is in their Bergamo Epyc CPU’s. Those would be utilizing TSMC’s 5 and 4 nm process nodes. Past that, theres also Zen 5, Zen 5 V cache and Zen 5C. Those on the other hand are on 4 and 3 nm’s.

going back to zen 4 though, mark paper master answered a question that was on everybody’s mind about that next-generation architecture. What are the instructions per clock, AKA the IPC gains? Well, their testing found somewhere between 8 to 10%. This wasnt Just cinebench though. This was thoroughly tested with SpecInt 2017, Cinebench and geekbench. So that number is fairly final.

Add to that the insane clocks we saw during the last event, and its a pretty healthy boost in performance if you ask me. In fact, AMD claims over a 25% improvement in performance per watt compared to Zen 3 and over a 35% increase in their cinebench multi-threaded score.

They also talked about the next generation of mobile APUs. We talked about that a couple of weeks ago, but it's now official. Zen 4 APU’s codenamed Phoenix Point will come with RDNA 3 graphics. Not only that, but it will be based on the 4nm node. There was no mention of the beefier dragon range APUs, but AMD did confirm it would come so we’ll just have to wait and see. Zen 5 mobile APU's on the other hand would have RDNA 3+ graphics. Both of these would feature AI extensions.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
hmmm hope they can make a itx version of the upcoming boards think ill replace a flaky shield with a nice mini itx rig and wifi 6e instead the apu game is on fire though bout time 🔥🔥

no more beating the dead horse of vega for apus going forward.

clshades

hmmm hope they can make a itx version of the upcoming boards think ill replace a flaky shield with a nice mini itx rig and wifi 6e instead the apu game is on fire though bout time 🔥🔥

Agreed. The Plex community will be stoked.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Agreed. The Plex community will be stoked.
Plex can run on a pi if you're not direct play transcoding. Most devices can now, so I think this is becoming a niche use and will be less and less used over time. Just my ancedotal thoughts.

clshades

Plex can run on a pi if you're not direct play transcoding. Most devices can now, so I think this is becoming a niche use and will be less and less used over time. Just my ancedotal thoughts.

If this APU can support several screens simultaneously, running HEVC and beyond then I'm interested. The pi stuff is good for a stream or two tops.

I have one screen that's 720p and one that's 1080p. The rest are 4k.

It's better for me to have good transcoding, rather than seperate versions for those screens. With 1700+ movies, it doesn't take long to burn up HDD space making seperate conversions.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I
If this APU can support several screens simultaneously, running HEVC and beyond then I'm interested. The pi stuff is good for a stream or two tops.

I have one screen that's 720p and one that's 1080p. The rest are 4k.

It's better for me to have good transcoding, rather than seperate versions for those screens. With 1700+ movies, it doesn't take long to burn up HDD space making seperate conversions.
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

There is no point in having multiple copies of streams if your resident device can direct play. A pi is sufficient to push the data, and your host device can direct play transcode it to whatever it wants.

You do not need anything more than a pi, assuming your device direct plays.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

makes me wonder if that's where most of the higher TDP rumors are stemming from...the RDNA 2 / 3 being added.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Should be very interesting as the GPU will be getting some nice architecture improvement's and be added to basically the entire lineup. Now we wait and see the APU desktop APUs will be gen 5 all around which wouldn't be needed but a way to stomp on Intel even harder.

Latest posts