What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Antec 900?

richuwo11

i am looking into getting a new system and have done a fair bit of research although i wanted some opinions on the Antec 900 case for my system...

• intel c2d q6600
  • evga 680i a1
  • evga 8800 gtx
  • ocz reaper 8500 2gb
  • ocz gamexstream 700 watt
  • zalman 9700 cpu fan
  • auzentech x-fi prelude
does anyone think the 900 would have sufficient airflow? or should i go to something like the thermaltake armour?

enaberif

i am looking into getting a new system and have done a fair bit of research although i wanted some opinions on the Antec 900 case for my system...

• intel c2d q6600
  • evga 680i a1
  • evga 8800 gtx
  • ocz reaper 8500 2gb
  • ocz gamexstream 700 watt
  • zalman 9700 cpu fan
  • auzentech x-fi prelude
does anyone think the 900 would have sufficient airflow? or should i go to something like the thermaltake armour?

Worst case ever! Go for the p182 as its much bigger and better.

richuwo11

well why is it bad? most of the reviews seemed ok for it...and you would recommend the p182 over the thermaltake armour?

enaberif

well why is it bad? most of the reviews seemed ok for it...and you would recommend the p182 over the thermaltake armour?

I'd recommend the p182 over anything :D

Antec 900 has a poor power supply mount and front panel connector wires are to short.

born2expire

i second the 900 not being good, i built another one of them this morning (done about 10 of them now) and not only is it ugly as sin but the cable management is awful. fine they put ties inside, big deal there is not one place to run the cabling to backside of the case unless you cut it yourself. the one thing i can say about the case is that is does run cool.

id say look to p182 (amazing case) or anything by silverstone (if you have the bucks).

JD

Staff member
Wow so negative...

I own one and it has served me well. All you guys must be used to huge cases or something. I, on the other hand, am used to small tight cases. It's worked out fine for me, for the most part...

My 4pin 12V ATX plug (CPU power) was too short to reach nicely (without going over the motherboard), so I had to pickup an extension for it. The front panel connectors are a bit short, but they just fit for me. Tighter than I'd like but it works.

Seeing as you are going for the GameXStream PSU, you'll have the same issue I did. Might want to look for something with longer cables.

I like the way it looks and it does have quite good cooling. There are various mods you can do to it as well if you have a Dremel or such. You can cut various holes around the motherboard to route your cables in behind. I haven't done any such mods to mine.

It's just something you either love or hate. Nothing is perfect.

Heres some pictures I have lying around:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/jdrom17/my computer/DSC01650.jpg

Cleaned up bottom. Drilled 2 holes to wrap a zip-tie around to hold the PSU cables against the back. Cables in-front go to hard drives, video card and any extras sit in the front there. I've been meaning to move them to the back as well though.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/jdrom17/my computer/lcs/DSC01655.jpg

Overall shot
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/jdrom17/my computer/lcs/DSC01654.jpg

I've replaced the rounded IDE with a flat-ribbon cable as well, so it looks a bit different than the pictures. Too lazy to take/upload pictures though.

richuwo11

thx for all of the opinions... i still havent decided on which one im gonna get yet...

the p182 also has a bottom-mounted PSU so i am assuming that if a gamexstream in a 900 doesnt have a long enough 4pin plug for the motherboard the same will happen with the p182?

Unklmo

I'd recommend the p182 over anything :D

Antec 900 has a poor power supply mount and front panel connector wires are to short.
i had no problems with the psu mounting in mine, and the only cable that was too short to reach was the HD-Audio/AC97 cable. a cable extension from Performance PC's remedied that quick.

I like the way it looks and it does have quite good cooling. There are various mods you can do to it as well if you have a Dremel or such. You can cut various holes around the motherboard to route your cables in behind. I haven't done any such mods to mine.
exactly what i did, running most of my cables through the bottom in the last drive day and back in through to the front in cut-outs i made close to the connections.
i will admit though, after installing the 8800gts and then throwing on my cpu chilling system it certainly does not leave you much room. when i first picked the 900 i thought there'd be plenty of room, however after putting it all in there,... let's just say it's a lil snug.

Attachments

• P9090149.JPG
    P9090149.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 8,885
  • P9090156.JPG
    P9090156.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 6,842
  • P9090158.JPG
    P9090158.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 5,028
  • P9090163.JPG
    P9090163.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 4,951

enaberif

People shouldn't have to mod their cases to make it work and a lot of power supply you put into the 900 mount upside down and the fan faces the wrong way.

Latest posts