What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Best place to buy HDD

Alpine

Hello,

Looking to buy few hdd to replace my old raid 5 with 5X 3tb hdd. Where do you thing is the best place to buy few 8tb hdd at the best price?

KaptCrunch

sata or scsi ? what controlier on system

sata1 sata2 or sata3 need to match drives

role for the drives ? NAS, video or gaming

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
Keep an eye on or sub to Bapcsalescanada on reddit. Look for 10TB Seagate or Western Digitial externals. The 10TB ones will not be SMR drives and they'll likely be cheaper than internal 8TB CMR drives.

MARSTG

I heard Amazon is packing better the HDDs for shipping than Newegg, as I have seen more positive reviews for the same models on Amazon than Newegg.

Alpine

Sorry, i've been so busy at work since this msg as been posted.

First, i currently have 5X 3TB sata 3 in a Raid5 config, working with a LSI9261-8I. They are all connected via a SAS to sata cable.

I'm looking to buy 2 or 3 8tb drives to replace my old setup since my drives are getting older and before they died.

I think i gonna follow up the idea from Coach and i find this Seagate 8tb 169$ on amazon.

8TB HHD

Is there any better place to buy hdd at better price ? Why hdd are still so pricy ?

lowfat

Staff member
Sorry, i've been so busy at work since this msg as been posted.

First, i currently have 5X 3TB sata 3 in a Raid5 config, working with a LSI9261-8I. They are all connected via a SAS to sata cable.

I'm looking to buy 2 or 3 8tb drives to replace my old setup since my drives are getting older and before they died.

I think i gonna follow up the idea from Coach and i find this Seagate 8tb 169$ on amazon.

8TB HHD

Is there any better place to buy hdd at better price ? Why hdd are still so pricy ?
IMO wait till Black Friday now. Last year you could find some ~$200 10TB externals.

Don't buy the 8TBs as they'll be SMR. All the 10TB drives are CMR.

Alpine

Ok... i leave the 8tb option in the trash.

So, black friday is the best solution ? I hope they will not sell used hdd or re-certified hdd