What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Can’t access some sites using my router - problem fixed

Bond007

My networking knowledge is weak at best. Within the last week I have been having issues connecting to a few websites (including this one), but only while using my home internet. In troubleshooting I just discovered that I can’t access it with my desktop (hardwired) or my phone (on wifi). If I turn wifi off, the phone goes to the website without issue. I have not changed any network settings recently.

Chrome (on the desktop) give connection reset error, iphone (on wifi) gives could not establish a secure connection to the server.

Thoughts?

Izerous

Folding Team
What comes to mind
Pi-Hole
Bad DNS server (try a different one)
maybe IP blocked
bad hosts file

Shadowmeph

I agree with above first check DNS then go through the rest I was using a DNS that kept saying that the legit Canadian government websites were phishing or the like so it was blocking me from accessing the site I had to add it to the white list

Bond007

Thanks for the quick responses. To start at the top of the list, how do I try a different dns? Again, my networking knowledge is junk.

From within the router settings it seems to be on DHCP (dynamic connection).

I have tried a factory reset of it with no luck.

I am with eastlink running their provided arris dg3270.

For additional info I can go to many websites. Confirmed not working to go to hardwarecanucks, realhardwarereviews, notebookcheck.net.

Entz

Do you have an example of one that works?

All 3 of those use Cloudflare for protection, I wonder if you somehow got blocked.

Bond007

Do you have an example of one that works?

All 3 of those use Cloudflare for protection, I wonder if you somehow got blocked.

Hmm...would that block only be through my home internet?

Most sites work- tomshardware, techpowerup, anandtech, google, Amazon, etc etc

Izerous

Folding Team
Block would be based on your home's IP address if that is what happened. Potentially going through a VPN would even be enough to get around it.

Entz

Yeah it would be an IP block as Izerous said.

toms, techpowerup, anand don’t use cloud flare (or at least don’t resolve to cloudeflare IPS) .. so it’s looking more and more like that.

lets try one for irony, can you access https://www.cloudflare.com/en-ca/