What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment thread for "Core 2 Duo e4300 vs. e6400: Performance on Air and Water Cooling

Babrbarossa

Comment thread for "Core 2 Duo e4300 vs. e6400: Performance on Air and Water Cooling

Thanks for reading my review! I welcome any comments or questions (or even flames:thumb: ) you might have.

The review can be found Here

sswilson

Staff member
I wish I had a chance to read this before I chose to purchase the 6420.

It might not have changed my mind, but I wouldn't have been surprised at how little room a 300 fsb limit leaves for OC'ing on the quad pumped chips.

The E4300 looks like it's a legitimate successor to previous budget OC darlings...

Those are some mighty fine OC's (on both chips).

So now that you've got the bug.... have you explained to your better half that you'll be needing a fresh infusion of new gear every 3 months or so???? :)

Great review BTW!!!!

Babrbarossa

Thanks! She's totally fine with my hardware mania as long as I can wittle my next upgrade from wood in the basement.

Babrbarossa

I got the email from NCIX saying that these are now $139- I would say that they're going to start selling heaps of them. The e6600s are only 270 now- amazing- As an overclocker, I would definately try to get one of these over a 6420 - i think the higher binning is probably worth it.

Beermaster

Have a Queston about the review, looking at the Temps that where recored with air vs water

I see only a 3 degree difference under load, between the Air and Water
is that all that water really saves you?

Babrbarossa

It actually cools things alot- what I should have made more clear is that the maximum oc for the e4300 with water is 3.55 at 1.63V, so it's running faster, with alot more voltage than I was giving it with the air cooling.

Despite that, i was a little surprised at how high the load temps for the e4300 were.

Another thing that is an entire other article is that I don't trust the temperature probes in the CPU or the sensors in the motherboard at all- I get different reading with every program, and the some of them are whacked! they are also whacked in different ways with each chip.

speedfan read 21C core for the e4300
Coretemp reads three degrees lower than TAT
there were other oddities too.

Temperature sensors just aren't calibrated with any care because of several different manufacturers producing the different components. I don't place much stock in temperature readings anymore- especially now that I'm on water cooling- I'm not going to go 24/7 with anything much over 1.5V so I don't have to worry.

enaberif

The only reason I can't stand watercooling is all that ugliness to the case with hoses everywhere, but on the flip side good job.