What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Crossover cable use

Phaddie

Hey guys,
I am in a situation where I need to transfer text commands from one computer to another to control an eye tracking unit.

This has been setup for the last little while but we just replaced the computers and I do not know how to set this up.

the computer are connected with a crossover cable. One is running winxp and the other is running win7. I have been playing with the network setting on both machines but have not been able to get it working.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Phad

Keywork

Depending on the age of the computers, most NIC's are auto-sensing. Try a regular straight through cable and see if that works.

Phaddie

Computers are both within a year old. If they are auto sensing would having a crossover cable stop them from working?

I was hoping someone could give me a quick run-down on how this should be done. I am kinda just winging it ;)

-Pha

Herne

Computers are both within a year old. If they are auto sensing would having a crossover cable stop them from working?

I was hoping someone could give me a quick run-down on how this should be done. I am kinda just winging it ;)

-Pha

Giving what you have tried might help. What IPs / gateways did you give them?

Phaddie

Hmm.. I did not assign anything at all. I just assumed it was going to be pretty automatic like everything else in windows. That was not the case however. I plugg the computers together and ran ipconfig to see if it was detected. It was. But I was not able to transfer any commands to the machine.

phad

sswilson

Staff member
I'm thinking that your problems are probably related more to the software you're using to remote into the second PC than anything network related.... you can't just connect 2 PCs together with a network cable and automatically have them talking to each other, it's not a function that's native to windows (especially if you're using two different OS).

enaberif

Hmm.. I did not assign anything at all. I just assumed it was going to be pretty automatic like everything else in windows. That was not the case however. I plugg the computers together and ran ipconfig to see if it was detected. It was. But I was not able to transfer any commands to the machine.

phad

When using a x-over cable you need to setup your IPs manually and use a private class IP like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x .

Once the IPs are established you then need to make sure you can ping the machines from one to the other.

Herne

I'm thinking that your problems are probably related more to the software you're using to remote into the second PC than anything network related.... you can't just connect 2 PCs together with a network cable and automatically have them talking to each other, it's not a function that's native to windows (especially if you're using two different OS).

Once you get used to not having DHCP around its not that much harder then that. W7 has an extra step to establish the sharing, but as above if he assigns 192.168.0.101 to the first and 192.168.0.102 to the other machine most things will work just fine

Latest posts