What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

e6400 and NVidia evga 680i 775 safe overclock

M

Misoprostol

Wow.... I'm overclocking a Kentsfield on this board instead of a Conroe, and I have to say, FSB overclocking on it is PATHETIC! I was using a Bad Axe 2 board before and I was able to hit 333MHz FSB without any problems. I was using 10x333 for that speed at 1.45V and moderate chipset voltages etc. On this board I cranked the voltage up on EVERYTHING chipset related and I couldn't get 333MHz. I'm using the latest P21 BIOS and I'm able to get 3.33GHz at 12x277...... This is ridiculous. Using another board and an E6600 I was able to hit 3.5GHz at stock multi for the E6600 (9).... This is ridiculous.

Babrbarossa

hooboy.....mine should be here tommorrow......man I've heard of people having trouble getting past 450 on these, but 333!!! ugh. If my system works ok as is, I'm wondering if I should just leave it (no oc, no bios update) until p22 comes out. Thanks for filling me/us in- I hope you'll keep me up to date of any developments if you can. sigh...nice board for me to choose for my first oc.:(

M

Misoprostol

Hi Babr,

This board appears to hate FSB overclocking on quad cores. You should be ok because you have a dual core. I can bring a dual core home and have a go at it with that and see if I have better results, but so far I'm at least able to get stable at the same speeds as I was before, although with a much higher multiplier :(

Babrbarossa

Here's hoping that it's straight forward....here's hoping it actually gets here too. According to stupid purolator's stupid online stupid parcel tracking, the box has been within 100 stupid km of me for two stupid days now and still hasn't got here. :mad:

Gav isn't also the god of couriers as well as god of computer hardware vendors is he? If so he should mete out a little wrathful vengance on my account. Maybe a little low-grade smitage.

Last edited:

Babrbarossa

Well, purolator has opened an investigation to find my computer-- they say it should have been here yesterday, and if not, it definately should have been scanned somewhere today. This is just typical for me-- the brown nylon christmas socks from my aunt always seem to get here right on time.....:mad:

M

Misoprostol

That's brutal man. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know for a fact Gav is not in charge of Purolator unless he has some sort of secret super hero alter ego.

Babrbarossa

Followup

Because this is one of the most viewed threads on the forum for some reason, I think I should follow up with my OC results here even though I have done so on other threads, just in case new overclockers with similar setups are stumbling across this thread looking for some results (even though mine is hardly the most exciting overclocking venture).

My motherboard worked fine right off the bat but I downloaded p21 and started overclocking with that. I managed to get the e6400 up to 3.2 Ghz at about 1.38V. After that, it didn't matter how much voltage I gave it, It wouldn't run stable any higher,even though my temps were not all that high. I downloaded the p23 bios and reseated my AC freezer pro7 and found that I could then get it to 3.4, but with 1.43V- despite the voltage increase, my temps were still idle at 40 and loaded at 56 using TAT so that's what I left it at. Not sure how much of this improvement was the new bios, and how much was the reseating of the heatsink. whatever it was, I can now run at 3.2Ghz at only 1.33V.

I have run the 8800 GTS at 600Mhz core and 900Mhz memory and it worked fine, but day-to -day I have it set to 513, and 792.

My OCZ Gold 6400 will run stable at stock timings and 900Mhz, or at stock speed of 800Mhz and 4-4-4-12 timings. Not super but I think this is somewhat exceptional for this memory.

If someone stumbles on this thread and is looking for overclcoking guides, here's a link:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/showthread.php?t=182

UPDATE: I am now running my e6400 at 3.4 GHz at 1.43V and my 8800GTS at 600 core and 1000 Memory and have watercooling on the way from NCIX and the revised 680i from evga so I'll update my OC if I can squeeze some more juice out of it with water cooling.

UPDATE 2- P26 Bios allowed me to get 3.45Ghz CPU

UPDATE 3- Switched to water cooling- now I am running the e6400 at 3.6GHz with 1.55V. My 8800GTS will run stable at 680MHz GPU and 1100 MHz memory- I run it 24/7 at 650 and 1050

UPDATE 4: I switched to p27- THIS IS AN AWESOME BIOS!- I went from 3.6 to 3.84 stable- I actualy was running most of today at 3.9 and ran a bunch of benchmarks, but it caught an error in Orthos. For some reason at around 3.7 there are some instabilities though- I've heard from others who found the same. I was also abe to get an e4300 up to 3.55 with this bios

UPDATE 5: Check out this review where I compared e6400 and e4300 overclocking on air and water.

UPDATE 6: hehe...I just remembered the name f this thread was "safe" overclocking...well once the bug catches you, all that goes out the window- that said, I don't run my e6400 at 3.84 24/7- right now because the house is getting warmer, I run it at 3.5 with 1.475V- on water, it idles at 37C when it's 26C ambient, but I have some better fans for my radiator on the way and they'll definately bring my temps down. The ones I'm using only push 11.7CFM, and the 37mm thick panaflos I've ordered push 67CFM.

Last edited:
M

Misoprostol

Good of you to follow up like this. Not sure I understand why there are so many views either, haha. Oh well, maybe you just have a knack for making thread titles that get people's attention.

Babrbarossa

yeah-- and it's kind of embarr***ing that I spelled nvidia wrong in the thread title..

edit- the automated profanity police are a little overzealoused methinks

edit- title fixed

Last edited:

Latest posts