What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

First NAS/Plex Server, a couple questions

lowfat

Staff member
So much effort when a Chromecast ultra runs Plex perfectly fine.

-Need a computer that supports HEVC
-video card that supports your needs and Plex
-Decently fast spin point drive
-Chromecast plugged into your reciever (wired is better)

Done deal.

I just run Plex off my main rig and shut it all down when I'm done. Easy peasy. NAS is a complete waste of money / overkill. IMO.
That really isn't the point. A NAS is going to be a way lower power @ idle and under load. Plus what are you supposed to power your rig on / off anytime any family member wants to watch some TV?

A Chromecast can DirectPlay. But if you are streaming to family members over the internet then you may need to transcode unless you have a fancy internet connection.

clshades

That really isn't the point. A NAS is going to be a way lower power @ idle and under load. Plus what are you supposed to power your rig on / off anytime any family member wants to watch some TV?

A Chromecast can DirectPlay. But if you are streaming to family members over the internet then you may need to transcode unless you have a fancy internet connection.
Yes that's exactly right. I can turn on the computer if we want to watch plex. Or if I happen to be using the computer someone can use plex at the same time. Otherwise it doesn't need to be on does it? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a NAS setup, I just don't see the point of spending that money.

Also this,

Chromecast Ultra
  • H.264 High Profile up to level 4.2 (1080p/60fps)
  • VP8 (4K/30fps)
  • HEVC / H.265 Main and Main10 Profiles up to level 5.1 (4K/60fps)
  • VP9 Profile 0 and Profile 2 up to level 5.1 (4K/60fps)
    High Dynamic Range (HDR)
    • Dolby® Vision™
    • HDR10
You might laugh, I've done the whole Nvidia tablet, shield, direct stream. I'm telling ya, Chromecast is by far the easiest way, best picture, best sound quality. I've fucked around with these setups in a proper theatre room with proper gear. Gear that costs 10's of thousands of dollars. Take a wild guess which the owner liked best. Read above. Nearly 4 million dollar chalet and little old chromecast smoked everything.

The house sound system cost over 40 grand and this guy doesn't settle. There were only two things I liked about the Nvidia tablet better, interface and 7.1 audio. Even though it doesn't generate a great 7.1 experience imo.

Last edited:

crazyea

Done deal.

I just run Plex off my main rig and shut it all down when I'm done. Easy peasy. NAS is a complete waste of money / overkill. IMO.
So is a 5900x with a 3080 to surf hwc but we’d all do it if we could. Lol

Shadowmeph

I would probably suggest more like a Raspberry Pi or similar sort of "development board" over an Android TV box, same concept though, and you'd be running full Linux at least.

A 2-bay NAS may seem costly for what it is, but to buy or build a PC would end up being same or more.
I am curious about this .I have two raspi4s one is kodi the other I was going to use for just web surfing and such but it doesnt do as well as my laptop it lags watching youtuber vids so its just sitting in a drawer right now I wanted to make a nasI9 was going to use my owl 2500k intel pc for that) but I also want t o save power I cant seem to find anywhere that shows how to use a raspi to do this. as it is right now I has a single drive plugged into my raspi4 kodi box it works decently but I want more drives so I can store not just tv shows movies but other files program OS backups

rjbarker

Done deal.

Right now my set-up is pretty easy as I have Plex Server on my Mac Book Pro with media libraries on an external HDD that is plugged into my main router node (Network)......3 story house lots of Smart TV's. pita when I forget to make sure my MBP isnt on or is a asleep and cannot access Plex..
.....thats really the only reason I'm looking at a Synology NAS......for what I do (simply streaming 1080p or in some cases 4k), the 220+ would probably be enough, but the 720+ has a little better CPU from what I understand (expandable Memory, but perhaps its not a deal breaker)......

djbrad

I am curious about this .I have two raspi4s one is kodi the other I was going to use for just web surfing and such but it doesnt do as well as my laptop it lags watching youtuber vids so its just sitting in a drawer right now I wanted to make a nasI9 was going to use my owl 2500k intel pc for that) but I also want t o save power I cant seem to find anywhere that shows how to use a raspi to do this. as it is right now I has a single drive plugged into my raspi4 kodi box it works decently but I want more drives so I can store not just tv shows movies but other files program OS backups
Dual and quad sata hat exist for this purpose :

Latest posts