What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Found this free software that seem's like it could come in handy.

wade7575

I seen this software and right away it brought me back to when you had to pay for an antivirus and remembered when my friend ran Norton and he decided he was going to use another antivirus and forgot to uninstall it before his subscription ended.

He then tried to uninstall it after his subscription ended and Norton told him he would have to buy another subscription and once that happens you can download their uninstaller which they told him he should have done before his subscription expired.

This program claims to remove Anti Virus's

https://antivirus-removal-tool.com/

wade7575

I think it's insane that never mind back in the day but even today if that BS is still allowed to go on and letting a company hold you hostage or have to choose to reformat your pc to get rid of their crap is crazy.

I just run the built in MS AV and Adguard and but I still know people who just check emails and stuff and insist on buying an AV and they use AVG of all things which I found to be crap.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm generally leery of AV tools like this.

Not sure why this didn't work for him though....

I'm reasonably certain that's an uninstall tool for the AV. Might take a bit of digging to come up with stand-alone tools (also from norton) for the full "family" of programs uninstall.

If anything..... I'm very suspicious of the "tech support" he contacted..... sounds more like one of those fake AV phishing things since they didn't point him towards the stand-alone uninstall tool.

wade7575

I'm generally leery of AV tools like this.

Not sure why this didn't work for him though....

I'm reasonably certain that's an uninstall tool for the AV. Might take a bit of digging to come up with stand-alone tools (also from norton) for the full "family" of programs uninstall.

If anything..... I'm very suspicious of the "tech support" he contacted..... sounds more like one of those fake AV phishing things since they didn't point him towards the stand-alone uninstall tool.
My friend came to me back in the day about 10 years ago and back then with Norton for sure they plain and simply would not give you their uninstaller if your subscription to the AV had expired,back then it was clearly a cash grab that if you were going to leave them and your subscription had ended you were stuck with it on your pc unless you were willing to pay again.

I fought with Norton for my friend and called a bunch of times and they simply wouldn't hear anything other then show us the money,so I got fed up and just reformatted his PC.

Maybe Norton has changed their tactic's but back then they told me they would give me a link to their uninstaller after I purchased another copy and wouldn't budge from that position.

FreeKnight

JD

Staff member
Yeah questionable URL surely, the developer might have good intentions, but I'd prefer if it linked to their code repository to see what it's actually doing. The forum that they post release notes on (Britec) is full of spam too and otherwise dead.

Jokester

Just use a legit software if you really need to. Otherwise windows built in defender is decent for most people's needs

FreeKnight

I just noticed that wade's post is a tool for removing AV software, not another AV. As in it removes traces of McAfee, Norton, etc.

URL is still a bit sketchy, but that's at least more useful than your average AV. At this point I wonder if there's anything outside corporate assets requiring the use of Avast, Norton, McAfee, etc. Obviously they all still exist as bloatware preinstalled in PCs or as part of other installer packages.

ZZLEE

I use Spybot. It worked fore me fore a long time. I am using the free version.

Latest posts