What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Got a free stove outlet? the NZXT 1200W!

Babrbarossa

Got this press release from NZXT. It may be overkill, but is sure is perty!

201.jpg

NZXT,
a company built upon a gamer's dreams, hopes to create products that put
consumers needs first, is proud to present the new generation of ultimate
gaming experience; the Precise 1200W Power Supply.

Introducing the NZXT Precise Power 1200W: stable, clean and efficient power
is delivered through six +12V rails to provide your system with safety and
performance. The Precise 1200 has modular plugs, support for ultra high end
SLI and CrossFire configurations. Even Quad core and dual core CPUs will run
seamlessly on the Precise 1200.

Features include: compatibility with new cards requiring with 4pin and 6pin
power connectors, SATA and PCI-E Connectors, Modular design for an easy and
clean install, support for up to 8 hard drives, Four PCI-E Connectors for
the newest 8000 series NVIDIA cards, and sleeved cables for a cleaner and
better appearance.

The Precise 1200W Power Supply is available in retail stores now.

clickright

I really think all these 1K+ PSUs are totally overkill. As long as you have a QUALITY 700Wish power supply, you should be in the clear-even with a SLI/Crossfire system.

sswilson

Staff member
I agree about 1K PSUs being overkill, but I suppose it would come down to how much more a person had to pay to get one compared to a 700/750W (and only if you were planning on SLI/Crossfire).

Quality is the keyword, and good Active PFC or single rail is a must to be able to meet most high end Vid card recommended specs.

SKYMTL is doing us all a great service by giving us detailed reviews which include things like ripple. It might make my eyes glaze over trying to get through the specs, but for a heavy OC, the more stable the PSU, the better chance for a high stable OC.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I have seen a QuadFX, dual 8800GTX setup pull 1100W from the mains and literally fry a Kill A Watt.

IMO, with AMD's Phenoms being released soon with backwards compatibility with the QuadFX, there is a distinct possibility that we will surpass the 1200W mark when the system is overclocked.

Everyone better get around to changing their breaker box to 20A fuses. :ph34r:

belgolas

This is insane. I believe that graphics cards will start to use less power when they go 45nm or lower. I hope I never have to buy over 1000 watts but I think I will need to in about 5 years. Unless something changes.

sswilson

Staff member
On the subject of GFX cards requiring more and more power I came across an interesting comment in a review for the 1900XT when it was released......

This was a monster when it was released and the power requirements were such that it was one of the first cards which pushed even enthusiasts to need a new PSU.......

The comment that struck me was a complaint about ATI forcing folks to upgrade their PSUs rather than shipping the vid card with a "brick" power supply that could be plugged into the back of it....

I wonder if this is a viable solution for desktop vid cards, or if a $30 "brick" psu would be able to provide decent clean power?

Latest posts