What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

HDD Start

Toyuko

So i started my computer the morning and heard a ticking nose come out of it then the Windows boot manager came up i think my hard drive is going on me how could this be? I bought it like 4 months ago from NCIX. What should i do its still working as of now.

sswilson

Staff member
Hardware does fail from time to time. Best thing to do now is to back up anything you can't afford to lose while the drive is still working. If the HDD is "ticking" or "clicking" on bootup, it's more than likely on the way out and you should probably start the RMA process.

sswilson

Staff member
Back up what you can't afford to lose, and then contact NCIX first about RMA. Not sure if they cover HDDs for the first year, but worth a try before contacting Seagate.

Babrbarossa

Yes the version 11 of those HDs had a bad firmware and they failed in droves- you need to RMA to seagate most likely. I've done two of them already. The RMA is quick, but the packing requirements are stringent. I don't think you need to follow the packing specs to a tee though- just make sure it's secure.

If you can back it up, do so ASAP because it will definitely fail.

enaberif

Let me guess- a seagate barracuda 500GB?

Yes the version 11 of those HDs had a bad firmware and they failed in droves- you need to RMA to seagate most likely. I've done two of them already. The RMA is quick, but the packing requirements are stringent. I don't think you need to follow the packing specs to a tee though- just make sure it's secure.

Lets get this straight now.. Those drives only had issues in the last quarter of 09 and it was only a few months. The 500s were not near as plauged as the TB drives were and had FAR fewer problems.

The 500s are a good drive just some did end up having a few problems.

Toyuko

I have version 12 (Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Warranty*) but this is werid backing up stuff now.

martin_metal_88

Firmware problem fixed but the .12 drive are not reliable like the old PATA were. Actually seagate is a bit off the game. Back up everything and send it to seagete. They will replace it with a recertified one if it's doing to much noise or if you have error code using their test tools.
GL

Toyuko

Firmware problem fixed but the .12 drive are not reliable like the old PATA were. Actually seagate is a bit off the game. Back up everything and send it to seagete. They will replace it with a recertified one if it's doing to much noise or if you have error code using their test tools.
GL

I see eh firmware problem fixed eh?

Latest posts