What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

HDMI and no sound

Wurmer

Here is my problem,

I have a BenQ monitor with and HDMI port. Normally, I'd use a DVI connection to hook it up to my computer and everything would work fine. Since I had a HDMI lying around doing nothing I said hey what the heck, lets use it for my computer. I have got the video working but no sound.

Here some details :

OS is XP updated to the latest
Sapphire 4870 with and HDMI to DVI adapter. HDMI cable from Monitor to GPU.
ATI Drivers and ATI HDMI Drivers, latest version.

When I go into the configuration Sound and Audio Device -> Audio -> Sound Playback -> Default Device -> ATI HD Audio Rear outpout I have no sound but when I revert back to Realtek HD audi output I get the sound working.

I am not sure what's going here, I thought that since this GPU supports HDMI I would get the sound working through an HDMI cable. Did I forget to connect something ? is there a connection between the GPU and MB that ought to be made for the HDMI to work ?

I'd gladly hear what you have to say about this, I am a newbie when it comes to this sort of things.

Arinoth

Staff member
To my knowledge there should have been a little 2 pin cable that came with the GPU. That needs to be connected to the SPDIF OUT on the motherboard, otherwise there will be really no way for the sound to magically jump from the motherboard to the GPU

Arinoth

Staff member
it only supports S-video, DVI, not HDMI connection

read manual

I just read the manual an no where does it say it does not support HDMI. You need to use the DVI to HDMI connection and apparently the audio processing is done onboard as well so with ATI cards i guess you don't need the spdif connection as you do with nVidia cards

sswilson

Staff member
To my knowledge there should have been a little 2 pin cable that came with the GPU. That needs to be connected to the SPDIF OUT on the motherboard, otherwise there will be really no way for the sound to magically jump from the motherboard to the GPU

That's for Nvidia cards, ATI cards have built-in audio for HDMI output.

it only supports S-video, DVI, not HDMI connection

read manual

Nope, it should be good.....

DVI-I Dual Link connection (It provides audio and video digital signals and HDMI™ output that is compatible with most HDMI devices.)
I'm assuming you've installed both of the files from this page..... ?

Drivers & Tools | GAME.AMD.COM

If that hasn't worked, then I'd suggest uninstalling all current ATI drivers and installing from the original install disk.

Arinoth

Staff member
That's for Nvidia cards, ATI cards have built-in audio for HDMI output.

Yeah, thats why after reading the manual KaptCrunch linked i posted an updated opinion/view on the OP's issue/problem

Wurmer

Ok I think Ive figured it out ( slap behind the head) the monitor I am using is not equipped with speakers so that might explain the current situation does it not ?

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Hehehe.......

Yeah, that'd pretty well explain the lack of sound coming from it..... :)

Arinoth

Staff member
Wait a sec, speakers are what create/produce sound, no way! good to see you at least figured out the problem

Latest posts