What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how often do you charge your mobile devices?

JD

Staff member
My Pixel 3's battery ain't what it used to be so I usually have to charge nightly now. When I'm working from home I have the tendency to plop it on the wireless charger and use it as a desk clock but I'm guessing that topping up of the battery isn't the best thing for it.
After I had my Pixel 3's battery swell twice, I figured leaving it on the Pixel Stand all the time likely wasn't a good idea... even though it was advertised for such purposes. Been a lot more cautious with my Pixel 5.

That being said, the iPhone's I've had for work, they seem to really slow down the charging past 95% or so, not sure why Android hasn't adopted that.

crazyea

There is a setting in IOS under battery/battery health called "Optimized Battery Charging" that slows it down after 80%. That last 5% can be agonizingly slow.

Izerous

Folding Team
depending on what i'm working on the S20 FE i can drain the battery more than once in a day so it sits on a lower power wireless charger on my desk all day when not actively in use. It isn't as bad if i disable the 120hz refresh... but honestly turning it on and off is noticeably more pleasant with it on i'll deal with the crappy battery life for that. If i'm going to be out and about i'll turn it off.

sswilson

Staff member
I was under the impression that modern phones were supposed to be "smart" when it comes to optimal charging.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Good question, I follow the 20%-80% rule and align the max charging levels with this app:

Allows you to monitor the battery degradation as well as advise the best patterns for charging it. Generally charge max to 80% to reduce the wear.

I installed this, but because my battery is at 100%, it thinks it's plugged in and charging when it is not. :p

MARSTG

That being said, the iPhone's I've had for work, they seem to really slow down the charging past 95% or so, not sure why Android hasn't adopted that.
My Huawei P30 PRO has that setting available. I usually charge it every other day, or whenever it drops under 20% but I had cases when it shutdown completely with the battery depleted. It has SuperCharging and in 30 mins gets to around 65-70%, it's one of the reasons why I left Samsung, the other is the 4200 mAh battery capacity and 5x optical zoom.

Latest posts