What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How to build an APC U.P.S. data cable.

KaptCrunch

pinouts.ru steve yes they should pay attention to PC side for some manuters had usb upside down

best use a USB a-b cable and cut off square end keeping the rectanguler end and follow colour

the shielding use on 4 (the alu strand wround)

Attachments

• usbapc.jpg
    usbapc.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 88,328
Last edited:

cobellig

Hi Guys

I can't make this working i hope you can help...

Since here in Benelux the RJ50 plugs is impossible to find i decided to open up the UPS and solder directly on my 550 motherboard.

I found different pinouts though:

APC BackUPS CS/ES smart signalling cable ðàñïèíîâêà è îïèñàíèå @ pinouts.ru
APC USB cable AP9827 : Pinout cable and connector diagrams-usb, serial rs232,rj45 ethernet, vga, parallel, atx, dvi...

I tried the first one and is not working...and i am not too sure about the pinout it looks like 1 and 10 pins are not correct...

Anyone can tell me where PIN 1 is on the Rj50 and where the 4 USB wires need to go?

Without USB the UPS is pretty useless to me...:doh:

KaptCrunch

other diagram update from orginale ups cable P/N

Attachments

• UPSusb.png
    UPSusb.png
    178.5 KB · Views: 107,029
  • ups USB_ORG.png
    ups USB_ORG.png
    96 KB · Views: 178,311
Last edited:

junker

Adding a USB-B connector to your UPS

other diagram update from orginale ups cable P/N

In the above images, the first (top) image of the cable shows the correct pin numbers and colors.

But the second (lower) image of the female connectors has an INCORRECT pinout list on the left side. It should read down from 10 to 1. Meaning 10=Green, 1=Red.

If you wanted to add a female USB - B connector to your UPS (and not have to find a RJ50 to make a new cable) you can hardwire the connectors using this diagram:
Adding%20a%20Female%20USB-B%20to%20APC%20UPS.png

Of course that being said, brand new cables are available on eBay for about $6, so it may not be worth your time.

Have fun!

stellarmoig

As an engineering student with a desire to do something physical while school labs are closed on during COVID-19, I submit here my pinouts used on my USB-B modification. These are looking "down" onto the RJ50 connector with the USB in the same orientation.

stupidAPCtoUSBpinout.png
stupidAPCtoUSBschematic.png

stellarmoig

Preformed on 3 different RJ50 equipped APC units since I lost the USB cables in a multitude of ownership transfers and moving houses over the past 10+ years: ES550, ES750, and BR1000G. All you need is a USB-B connector.
Steps here:
After removing the battery, and letting the unit sit overnight to drain the capacitors, disassemble the unit carefully until you get to the PCB with our RJ50 on it.
Desolder the connector. I used lots of extra solder over all of the pins and just used a big tip while pulling on the connector.
On the replacement USB I clipped off the connector legs for mounting.
Attached wires to the terminals with some heatshrink over it. I used cat5e for extra irony.
Route the wires to the other side of the PCB through a hole.
Use my provided diagram for wiring to the RJ50 connector
Put kapton tape or electrical tape over the pads to insulate from the connector.
Hot glue the connector down where the old RJ50 was.
Reassemble and you're done!

If you get in device manager, the "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" error the data lines are backwards. Simply reverse them.

IMG_20200524_144213.jpgIMG_20200524_144249.jpgIMG_20200524_145202.jpgIMG_20200524_012319.jpg

ninjamike1211

I've been trying to complete this mod on my APC Back-UPS NS1250 (bn1250lcd) but have not had any luck. I soldered in a female usb type b plug next to the existing rj50 plug. I don't have a lot of experience with soldering, so I wanted to avoid desoldering the rj50 connector if possible. When I turn on the ups and connect the usb to a computer, the computer does not recognize anything and nothing on device manager changes. Additionally, the software installer does not find any UPS connected. However, when I unplug the UPS and take out the battery, but plug in the usb to a computer, the buttons on the front light up. Perhaps I am missing something, does anyone have any advice?

stellarmoig

You probably have the pins flipped around. Orientation is important. Loads of soldering tutorials online if you're having a hard time. If you take a picture of what you've done I can take a look.

ninjamike1211

Sorry for the mediocre soldering skills. I didn't have the proper colored wires for usb, so I made red +5v, orange D-, yellow D+, and green ground (only because it was the darkest color, as green would normally be a data wire). Also, not sure if this makes a difference, but the usb plug I bought is soldered to a breakout board and the shielding is tied to ground. Keep in mind I soldered to the bottom of the connector, so the pins are upside down.
IMG_20200529_191900.jpgIMG_20200529_191832.jpg

Latest posts