What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel Core i7-980X Gulftown Processor Review Comment Thread

chrisk

Folding Captain
Yeah I have looked some more since my post and it seems that you would have to go native Linux to get more than 8 threads going.

I wonder if a dual vmware setup would work like we used to do when vmware was limited to 2 threads? You would need a 12GB setup (to handle 2 x 4.6GB vm machine dedicated ram) in that scenario.

I have seen speculation that 40K PPD would be reasonable on this chip, which I tend to believe if it was Oc to 3.8-4.0GHZ.

_dangtx_

Banned
why yes, my spellung is perfect for finding errors. nothing big, thats for sure was in the above review.

Eldonko

Nice review Im jealous :D I would never buy one myself but it is interesting to see the benches anyway.

Zero82z

Banned
I wonder if a dual vmware setup would work like we used to do when vmware was limited to 2 threads?
No. It's 8 cores max in total, not per VM.
I have seen speculation that 40K PPD would be reasonable on this chip, which I tend to believe if it was Oc to 3.8-4.0GHZ.
40k will most likely be a lower limit with an overclocked Gulftown.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Yeah I have looked some more since my post and it seems that you would have to go native Linux to get more than 8 threads going.

I wonder if a dual vmware setup would work like we used to do when vmware was limited to 2 threads? You would need a 12GB setup (to handle 2 x 4.6GB vm machine dedicated ram) in that scenario.

Dual booting Ubuntu would work easily enough. I used to run native Linux while folding, and boot to windows for gaming. It's relatively simple to install the new versions of Ubuntu.

As for PPD, my 920 at 3.8 gets 23k PPD running on 8 threads. So an extra 4 threads at the same speed should be 34-35k PPD.

miggs78

MAC Daddy at it once again, great review done as always MAC!!..

Too much for me to afford, but can always have new dreams now lol.. Since it's the same price as the i7 975 with 2 unlocked cores and some bits and pieces more, why not..

A little off topic, MAC your chart shows the i7 930 and i7 920 with the same price, is this true ?

Charloz24

Dual booting Ubuntu would work easily enough. I used to run native Linux while folding, and boot to windows for gaming. It's relatively simple to install the new versions of Ubuntu.

As for PPD, my 920 at 3.8 gets 23k PPD running on 8 threads. So an extra 4 threads at the same speed should be 34-35k PPD.

Don't forget that the bonus will be higher because the unit will be done earlier....

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Very true, I forgot about that. You'd probably get down to around 23 minutes TPF then or around 41k PPD. It's out of my league anyway. For $1000 or so I'd just build another folding box rather than upgrade mine.

chrisk

Folding Captain
$1000US plus tax for an additional 20K would be too much for me.

That being said, that additional 20K could be had without the power draw of an additional system, or cost of parts.

Dual-booting would cut out the GPU folding I am doing, so the costs are further unjustified until I can fold the CPU and GPU at once.

Latest posts