What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel I9-14900KS Review

Bond007

LOL, 3.5x power consumption in gaming workload vs the 7800X3D, and performs worse.

This is what really stood out to me.
For most of us, that is the biggest point to take from the review. The reality is nobody would notice any difference in gaming quality between the top several CPUs in the charts. But that is a HUGE loss in efficiency to get the same gaming feel (on top of the extra upfront $ to buy it). If your life involves heavily threaded tasks on top of gaming, then intel makes more sense (though it isn't a straight win/loss)....but not in the form of this KS.

This CPU feels somewhat like an intel version of the FX 9590 (an AMD CPU I thought was equally as pointless...though the FX was probably even worse). Way too far up the voltage curve to push it to a point that it shouldn't be for the general market.

Izerous

Folding Team
With those numbers it is to the point where the gap in power usage for say my desktop 5950x + 7900XTX is a whole GPU.

The 7900XTX caps out at around 300W under a syntheic load, some games it is more happy to sit around 150W power draw depedning on the game. The different in power usage between this and the 5950 in some of those charts is more power than what my GPU is even drawing in the first place.

If crossfire was still a thing I could run a 5950x + 2x7900XTX's and have the same power draw as a new KS + 7900XTX....

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Der8auer delidded one and using liquid metal found temps to drop 20 degrees at stock. that gave him the headroom to move to a 6ghz OC on all eight P-Core and with a custom waterblock he's been developing with Thermal Grizzly, was able to run it full load at 95C, so the CPU didn't throttle itself. they said power consumption was only 400w-ish, but that's probably a typo or proper context wasn't given to understand where that figure came from.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
hmmm i shold try get my hands on a Heatkiller 360 Copper Rad and some tubing see if i can tweak the current setup i have since TG will most likely be a Block instead of a full on Kit.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
hrmm the Asus Case i have may fit in similar Tank id have to make a experiment in Garage before i could sneak it inside my office. i do have access to unlimited supply of Dry ice (food Grade) not that Toxic Fume cr@p i handeld as a kid (20ish) lol.

Latest posts