What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

iPhones and iPads record all your movements [Toronto Star]

chrisk

Folding Captain
Looks like there is a database file on your iPhones and iPads that keep track of you movements via gps movements:

Your iPhone 4 or your iPad 3G are recording all of your movements and storing the information in easy-to-access files, two British scientists revealed on Wednesday.
“All iPhones appear to log your location to a file called ‘consolidated.db,” Allan said in a YouTube video he and Warden made about the discovery. “This contains latitude and longitude coordinated along with a time-stamp. The coordinates aren’t always exact, but they are pretty detailed.”
The tracker is embedded inside Apple Inc.’s newest iPhone software, iOS 4, and on iPads with a cellular plan. The data are stored in your devices and automatically backed up on your computer when you synchronize them with iTunes.
Data is not sent to Apple or your provider, but still is something to keep in mind.
Source:
Where have you been? Your iPhone and iPad know - thestar.com

I was able to generate a Google map below using the data from my phone for the last few months. I have attached a map.

Attachments

• whereabouts.png
    whereabouts.png
    50 KB · Views: 265

Perineum

50654dafa03e90b70.jpg
50654dafa03e90b70.jpg

Arinoth

Staff member
Wait a second, that's not where you live. Do you only see her in the summer when the weather's nice out to drive on the road, aka from your cottage

YukonTrooper

I just received A Brave New World and A Brave New World Revisited today in the mail. Although this is more Orwellian in nature, the same vibe persists. Funny (disturbing?) how we're arguably in the penultimate of the atmospheres Orwell and Huxley wrote about.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Haha! Pretty much the best map EVER considering the location names. :D

chrisk

Folding Captain
Haha! Pretty much the best map EVER considering the location names. :D

This is an area in Newfoundland (between St. John's and Clarenville on the east coast). My grandfather is from a place called Chapel Arm which is on the map I displayed.

It is a popular tourist thing to get your picture taken under the highway sign for Dildo.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Being a little serious here: This is completely outrageous and Apple needs to respond immidiately. Invasion of privacy? Collecting user location information without consent or knowledge? I'm very glad I never gave Apple a penny. Just what the #$%^ do they think theyre doing?

Arinoth

Staff member
Being a little serious here: This is completely outrageous and Apple needs to respond immidiately. Invasion of privacy? Collecting user location information without consent or knowledge? I'm very glad I never gave Apple a penny. Just what the #$%^ do they think theyre doing?

You didn't know, thats what's the hipster in thing right now.

Though on a serious note, i bet you its somewhere buried in the license agreement that 99% of us never bother to fully read and don't find out about it until someone does or finds out another way.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
This still screams class-action lawsuit or similar. I cant even begin to describe how pissed off I am at apple now, and how glad I am that I never touched their crap.

Latest posts