What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Want to Buy Mid-high Gaming Laptop. Cool/Quiet!

Cptn Vortex

I'm not sure about the "supports eGPU", is that a specific protocol or setting?

moocow

As far as I understood, the eGPU acts as a TB hub so as long as both sides are TB, it should work. Individual eGPU unit may have weird behaviors so that requires further research.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Since the vote in my question thread went towards a gaming laptop, and because the PC in the bedroom idea might not be the best idea... I'm resurrecting this thread.

Copy pasta from my similar question thread on reddit:

Needs:
1- Cool and quiet! This is absolutely number one but many laptop reviews seem to gloss over these details. I'd like a laptop with a cooling system that doesn't let the cpu/gpu get into the 80s or 90s Celsius. That's just too hot. In the same vein, with a solid cooling setup, it should be very quiet under light loads. So the cooler the better. I don't want a screaming fan when I'm editing a text document 😅
2- around 1,200 CAD or less (used most likely, which is okay). Can stretch a bit higher for the right laptop.
3- Ryzen cpu, 4c/8t minimum, 6c/12t better.
4- decent gaming / encoding GPU, around a 3070 or better if possible.

Wants / nice to have:
1- 1440p or higher resolution display, *doesn't* need ultra high refresh rate. OLED would be nice but not required.
2- A 4060 or other 4xxx nvidia would be great for the native AV1 encoding capability.
3- 8c/16t for better cpu horsepower
4- Its unlikely but USB4 / Thunderbolt 3 would be nice to have. More likely would be USB C 3.2g2.
5- If I can find one that's smaller / lighter than some of those 17in 8-9lbs monsters, that would be great.
6- 2x NVME drives possible and 2x+ ram slots.

That's all I can think of for the moment. Obviously I don't expect anyone to link me directly to a specific laptop for sale, so just pointing me I'm the right direction would be awesome.

I'll update this post with potential options as they come! Thanks reddit folks! 👍

Shadowmeph

is ther such things as a laptop especially gaming laptop that is cool and quiet never mind a mid - high end one I would think to keep cool the fans would have t otoque up and since those fans are small they woudl have to work harder which means much more noise , I am curious though if there is one I would definitely check it out .
but i get that screaming fan text doc thing my old Surface Pro when charging and say watching a video the fan is ramping away it took me a while to figure out where the noise was coming from until I touched it and it was pretty warm in my car Iuse it on downtime and have the glove box open and it's resting against the dash it gets so warm that I actually put a cloth between the back of the screen and the dash because I feel it may melt it lol

Latest posts