What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My new home automation micro server

lowfat

Staff member
I thought I made a post but guess it didn't go through? What are you using for temp checks?
Checking temps of what?

Of the Pi, it uses the command line 'cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp'

Temps of my living room is a DS18B20 temperature sensor hooked up to an ESP8266-based device. Temps in my 3d printer enclosure are the same, except using a DHT11 sensor.

lowfat

Staff member
Created a smart power button for an upcoming system. The Wemos D1 Mini is powered by the 5V standby voltage from the PSU. Then one of the GPIO off the Wemos goes to a boost buck to increase the voltage from 3.3V to 5V. At 5V it can then trigger the relay. Then from the relay it goes to the power button connection on the motherboard.

justmehereajax

I want to automate too. This looks like fun and cost effective. Finally the future is here! I remember years ago seeing smart homes... especially Bill Gates having a smart home. Now we all can have it!

Chris

Hi lowfat, just finished installing homeassistant on my debian desktop, after many failed tries. I have so far been able to connect my Insteon Hub and Harmony Hub. No problem using the Insteon light control as all the light switches show on the the overview page. But Harmony Hub shows up as a remote, and can only do on/off. I have searched for further instructions, but did not find any. Will you share you methods, or perhaps how to use the scripts so that the Overview page can show all my activities, devices, and controls?

TIA.

lowfat

Staff member
Hi lowfat, just finished installing homeassistant on my debian desktop, after many failed tries. I have so far been able to connect my Insteon Hub and Harmony Hub. No problem using the Insteon light control as all the light switches show on the the overview page. But Harmony Hub shows up as a remote, and can only do on/off. I have searched for further instructions, but did not find any. Will you share you methods, or perhaps how to use the scripts so that the Overview page can show all my activities, devices, and controls?

TIA.
I don't actually use HA to control my Harmony Hub as it seemed to difficult. I use a NodeRED flow to communicate directly to the Harmony Hub. I'd HIGHLY suggest using NodeRED for all automations as its so much simplier and more powerful than doing everything in HA.

You can use this by default
https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red-contrib-harmony-websocket

Or https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-harmony
if you enable the XMPP in the Harmony app.

I'm using the XMPP as I was doing it this way before websockets was a thing for Harmony. Once I added the Hub to NodeRED, I could just select my activities and buttons just by drop downs.

Wicked15

This is one of those things you need to see in person to really appreciate. Good stuff!

On a side note:
My TV turns on by its self if the batteries in the remote are dying, Does that count as automated?:rofl:

Chris

I don't actually use HA to control my Harmony Hub as it seemed to difficult. I use a NodeRED flow to communicate directly to the Harmony Hub. I'd HIGHLY suggest using NodeRED for all automations as its so much simplier and more powerful than doing everything in HA.

You can use this by default
https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red-contrib-harmony-websocket

Or https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-harmony
if you enable the XMPP in the Harmony app.

I'm using the XMPP as I was doing it this way before websockets was a thing for Harmony. Once I added the Hub to NodeRED, I could just select my activities and buttons just by drop downs.
Thanks lowfat, I’ll study up NodeRED.

Chris

This is one of those things you need to see in person to really appreciate. Good stuff!

On a side note:
My TV turns on by its self if the batteries in the remote are dying, Does that count as automated?:rofl:
Your TV has become self-aware😂😂

lowfat

Staff member
Bought Tasker for Android. There is a Home Assistant plugin now available.

Man this is going to change everything. I'm already using it for presence detection @ home instead of the battery draining location tracking. When I join my wifi, it automatically sets me as to being home and activates the automations.

I'll also be setting up tasks so certain things happen when I get calls / texts. Like pause my tv, turn on the room lights. Maybe even flash my RGB lights different colours. :shok:

zoob

Finally got around to installing Node-RED on my HASS and spent a while spinning my wheels. Turns out often you need to ssh in to issue a "hassio homeassistant restart" for it to actually properly restart.

Do you have any real Hue stuff? I found this custom component that allows you to create automations using the Hue remote to trigger events - they report as a sensor and you trigger based on the state change of things like "1_click_up" for "On".

I managed to tie in SmartThings and Hue into my HASS and finally have "full" usage of the motion sensors and remotes on each system.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter